Blood, ouchies, and skinned mouth?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phoeblie

Today approx 20 minutes into playtime, my sister(who was watching my the chins) notified me that one of the chins had a bloody mouth and paw after she itches her moth. I checked her out right after, and found the crack of her two cheeks or lips and some of the skin around it seemed to be skinned and bleeding. From running around, maybe?? Her paw fur was covered in blood. The blood stopped bleeding and clotted itself a bit after. My chinchilla herself acted like normal. I read some articles online about it, and they said that i shouldn't clean the wound, give dust baths. I did clean the place to prevent infections, and to give her plenty of rest. I cleaned the cage the best I could at 11pm, gave them new hay, water, pellets, chew toys, hiding place, and bedding. Is there anything else I should do? Anyone know how long it might take to heal? I've included some pictures I took.

Thanks everyone!

PS... If possible, please let me know how to get rid of old blood on paw fur please 😊

Attachments

• 20170524_005735.jpg
    20170524_005735.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20170524_005946.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 22
  • 20170524_005846.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 22
The images are not working, but usually these kind of wounds you describe heal on their own and don't require any other treatment. I would just keep a eye on it, make sure she is eating and drinking and pooing, let the dust baths clean the blood.

Thank you for the reply ticklechin. She is clearly doing much better today, no more bleeding and her mouth isn't red anymore. It looks like a scab we would have after a fall, but smooth. The blood on her paw fur disappeared too haha.

Will dust baths irritate that area or clog it up?

Back