Family wants to hold chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PandaChilla

Hi!

I have had my chinchilla for nearly 2 weeks. She probably isn't tamed COMPLETELY, but, She lets me pet her, she climbs on top of me, she willingly takes treats from me, I give her scratches, and she always comes running to the front of her bin to greet me. The only thing is she will not let me hold her.

My family are really upset they can't hold her, or play with her,and keep nagging me to take her out of her cage. I take my chin out for playtime every day for at least an hour, and they want her to be an "around the house" pet such as a cat or dog.

No matter how many times I tried to explain to them it just won't work, they still nag and nag. Any ideas on what to do? Any help is appreciated. :)

Refer them to this site to read up on bonding and having a chinchilla as a pet is different from dogs/cats/small animals. If they won't read it, maybe you could print a few of the articles off and let them read them.

Free roaming around the house is not safe for a chin. Way too many ways for the chin to get hurt or ingest something harmful. If your family wants to play with the chin, they need to be there when you do playtime and you need to limit it to one room that has been chin proofed and keep the door closed. The chin also needs to be supervised throughout the entire playtime.

I agree 100% with 'Cuddlebug'. If your family refuses to understand, then they should not be allowed at all near your chin - they are not responsible enough. Responsible people do what is needed to properly care for an animal

So far, my family is starting to "reason" with me. When Tinsel comes out for playtime, they simply sit and watch. Mostly just my mom. They have done reserch and everything. We are all warming up to her. Thanks!

Apart from it being unsafe to let your chin free-roam because of chewing risks (electric cords and such), they poop a lot so poop would get everywhere. Also, they have very fragile bodies so you would run the risk of it being stepped on accidentally.

Back