Too much Dust bath ? Help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chincitylover

My three year old chinchilla Chinchi recently started breathing funny like a bit of sneezing and a squeaky breathing at first. I also noticed he's not barking as loud as before (he's a very vocal chinchilla). I was playing with him early in the morning and he kept getting to his dust bath on top of his cage. A couple hours past and i noticed the breathing, we have a vet appointment scheduled monday (today is friday). Am i worrying too much ? could it have been too much dust ? or a respiratory infection ?
* He is eating , drinking water, wants to play, and pooping normaly.

If it's just dust bath he should be normally once you get him away from it, within an hour or two, and would just be sneezing not breathing weird. I would worry the chin may have a respiratory infection, they hide illness well, so once you notice signs they are pretty sick. A Upper respiratory infection can seemingly come out of nowhere, and kill within hours. If he isn't breathing normally by now I would get him to the vet now, not wait a few days.

*UPDATE*
So far it has been more than 8 hours since i noticed the squeaky breathing , it has stopped and he is acting completely normal. I still have the vet appointment for monday since it is the soonest appointment i could get and the closest. Ive been keeping an eye on him and he has been drinking and eating just fine. We took him out to play for a bit to see if the stronger breathe rate would show more signs of "squeakiness" but so far nothing.

Back