Training your chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eldritch

Hello everyone

I was just wondering how many of you have trained your chinchillas to do things and how you have done it? My two are litter trained which didn't really take much effort at all and they picked it up very quickly and now I'm thinking about what else I could do.

What have behaviours have you trained them to do and how did you manage it/how long did it take? I assume that positive reinforcement is the key and rewarding them with food when they do the correct thing, but what snacks are safe to feed them so frequently as in every time the do the thing which will hopefully be multiple times when they're out the cage?

Thank you!

chins arnt really trainable pets in that sense. Sometime they might do certain things like pick a certain spot to pee at, or hop in a dust bath. But past that you cant really train them.

If you look on youtube, I think there are a couple videos on training your chin, but only basic commands such as 'come'. You don't always have to use treats as a positive reinforcement, dust baths work too.

in general, youtube is a pretty bad place to go for information. There is an extreme amount of bad info and ppl that dont know what they are talking about on there.

****, i remember the one girl how took her chin outside and went into the stream with her; submerging her and laughing... absolutely horrible.

Yes, I am aware of that and I agree that youtube isn't a good place to find information on chins but every once in a while you'll find a good video with correct information. I have not used that video for information and am not planing to train my chin for that matter, but it is a good resource for someone to look into a little bit.

Thank you for your responses.

Godofgods - I disagree, I believe almost all animals can be trained and I have seen many videos of chinchillas that have been trained so I know it's possible, just not how to go about it!

In regards to youtube I have had a quick look but it seems to be more people showing off their trained chins than how they've done it. And i know that youtube isn't really the best place to learn these things which is why I thought I would post here too

Back