Newbie owner/breeder

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kina_5

I need help w/chinchilla breeding. I have 2 males, both a standard grey(2 & 3 yrs) and 1 female white mosaic (1 year old).

I recently got this chinchillas both males i got together then a week later got my female. There were no problems introducing each other. My female is a little bigger then my biggest male in weight and size. They both show interest in each other and sniff at each others noses so it looks like they're giving kisses.

P.S my cage is 5'4 inches tall and really wide. Cage can be made into two cages if wanted.

- when is my female ready to breed?
- leave both males or one?
- what are the signs of heat in a chinchilla?
- what do i expect?
- how many times do females mate a year?

First things first. Are these animals pedigreed. If not separate immediately. shins without pedigrees should never be bred. You have no idea if they carry genetic illnesses that can be passed on to the offspring.

Second. If they are pedigreed, take the 2nd male out of the cage. Two males can and will fight to the death over a female. The female is ready to breed at 12 months old old if she is big enough - at least 600 grams. It is best to find a breeder to check if her pelvic opening is large enough to pass kits. Most vets do not know how to do this. A breeder can also tell you if she and the males are of breeding quality. by the way, if she is bred too early, she could have severe complications when it is time to deliver the babies. Most of the time, you will not know if the chinchilla is in heat. Most never show it. Sometimes you will see a clear discharge from the vagina, but nothing more. The females can mate up to 3 times a year but it is not recommended to allow this to happen. It drains the female tremendously and can do her physical harm to allow this to happen.

Third, it seems to me that you have not done your research. I recommend you separate the female from both males and do a lot of research. We have an entire section dedicated to breeding. Read up and ask questions before you breed them. Also, if the female is already with a male, separate her and mark your calendar 111 days from now (120 days just to be sure). That is when the babies will be due by. No babies by that time means she is not pregnant.

Back