Marlee's miracle at 7 months

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smhufflepuff

super-duper hedgiepig
Miracle of miracles! Miss Marlee was found Saturday morning IN her own hedgiebag. She did it all by herself.

I found her just like this:
picture.php

And was absolutely amazed.

Having seen many hedgies snuggling into a hedgiebag on their own, this probably seem like a ridiculous post. Why would someone get all excited about a hedgehog in a hedgiebag? Even more to the point - why would that be considered a miracle?

Well, let me tell you a bit about Miss Marlee. Marlee is a very snuggly girl. She's always enjoyed crawling up my sleeve as a little one. More recently, she's decided the sleeve is passe and it's best to climb up our arms/chests, crawl through the neckholes of our shirts, and settle on our bellies. She enjoys snuggling in her igloo. She likes to be under her hat. She also likes to be under her hedgiebag.

Under?

Yes. Under.

You can leave the bag wide open. Set her down in front of it. Even put her front end in the opening... and she'll find a way to get herself under it. No, not between layers, but under the whole thing. She'll use the entire thing like a thick blanket. And be somewhat put out that it's not completely covering her.

Then came the day Marlee met Bella. Miss Bella climbed in the hedgiebag. In? Yep. And then Marlee followed. In. But only if Bella got to the bag first. Miss Bella has found herself poised to enter the hedgiebag, only to see it lifted up and away on more than one occasion. Miss Marlee was busy wearing it on her back. Bella was not amused. Human retrieves hedgiebag. Bella goes in. Marlee goes in. All is well.

On her own, though, Marlee keeps on wearing her hedgiebag on top.

BUT THEN!!!! I found her on Saturday IN her bag. All by herself. She did it! Miss Marlee found her way into her very own hedgiebag, settled down, and fell asleep. She was under her hat on Sunday. But Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday: in hedgiebag, in hedgiebag, in hedgiebag!!!!

Baby girl has figured it out! Wahoooooooo!!!!!!! Good job Little Pudge :) Momma's ever so proud.

Last edited:
How cute! Good job Marlee! I can relate, I had similar feelings when one of my chins figured out how to use his flying saucer after not being able to figure out for 3 years, despite his cage mate taking to it minutes after I installed it in their cage. :))

Garrrr... Totally jinxed it. This morning, I found Miss Marlee in her igloo next to her hedgiebag.

But I'm awarding partial credit as she managed to turn her bag halfway inside out and smoosh herself into the divot she created in the bottom and, after the brief morning snuggle when I fixed her hedgiebag, she walked into it instead of under it.

Awwww, Marlee. You are so sweet. Hedgie bags are complicated. Luna doesn't get it either. But you are figuring it out, Luna gave up and sleeps under her liner.

Back