Pudge wont eat mealworms

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nannercat

We tried feeding Pudge a mealworm and he sniffed it and started licking at it but wouldnt eat it. He's really young (2 and a half months) and we dont think he's ever had mealworms before. Is it possible that he just doesnt know what to do with them and if yes then how can we teach him?

Yes, it's quite possible he doesn't know what mealies are and that they're yummy. For now, I'd just put a couple in a dish along with his kibble and see if he starts figuring it out on his own overnight. Don't pressure him... just allow him time and space to check it out.

If, after a couple weeks, he still doesn't seem to get it, you could smush up a mealie and apply the mealie goo to his lips. He's likely to start licking his lips when that happens... at which point he'll have a taste and probably want more.

Three things I'd keep in mind:
- There are some hedgies who need to be exposed to the same thing maybe a dozen times before they decide it's something they should try/something they like.
- There are some hedgies who do not like mealies. I don't think that's the case with Pudge given the fact that he's sniffed and licked so far. But it's possible.
- Pudge has just gone through a rather traumatic experience with the dropping and kicking, so definitely take it slow and steady. Since mealies are 100% necessary, be willing to stop trying for a couple of months if he's telling you "no" right now. It'll be more important that he trusts you than for him to eat mealies.

Back