Metal mesh floor cages

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teddykay

How do you all feel about metal mesh for chin's flooring?

The main floor on our cage is 3 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch metal mesh with wood shavings underneath on a tray. Her tree stomp hideaway on the first floor has a fleece bottom. I also put fleece down on the second floor and the third floor is made of wood.

Is the mesh on the first floor safe enough for her feet?

If you were to have metal mesh, the sizing should be 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch or they could injure their feet with spacing that is too large. If possible, put the tray above the mesh with shavings, that would probably be a safer way.

It's workable if you modify it. My primary concern is that her foot could get caught. 3.5 inches is pretty long and chinchilla feet are really narrow, so I would cover everything with granite, tile, or chinchillers. My secondary concern is bumblefoot, which is a huge risk anytime you have a wire bottomed cage. Since she'll urinate on the wire, it will rust fairly quickly, which would accelerate an infection if she gets cut.

Also, if the tree stump hideaway is this one, I would replace it, as it's made from recycled plastic. If she ingests it, it could cause a blockage.

1/2" 1/2" has worked best for me. Any wider either dimension opens you up to caught feet. I put tiles in there for them to rest on and they tend to stay on those most of the time.

Back