HELP!! My girl has skin/fur loss problem

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvcafe

luvcafe
Hi All,

My girl is 6-month old and I just took her home a month ago. Two weeks ago, I found her left hand (near the paw) is getting bald and I thought maybe she chew her fur loss or something else. But then I found out her chin has a human finger tip range fur loss when she raised her head up to drink water. I was shocked cause that area usually is covered by fur and is not easy to see. I am now giving her taking dust bath every day and add in anti-fungal power spray to see if any improvement. But I'm still worried about her. Is anyone know it looks like fungus? Mite? Water? Pee infection? Any suggestion and solution?

Attachments

• IMG_0475.JPG
    IMG_0475.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0492.jpg
    IMG_0492.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 9
As I said in your first post, it could very likely be malo, not a fungal infection. I would get her check out at a vet.

As I said in your first post, it could very likely be malo, not a fungal infection. I would get her check out at a vet.

Appreciate your reply, Amethyst. I didn’t see my first post was successfully submitted on my side so I didn’t see your reply on that neither, but thanks anyway.
What symptom you think she has malo problem? Is it because the bald area happens on her chin and might be she drooling? I didn’t see her any symptom of Malo like weight loss, dropping food. Everything seems normal. :(

Yes, it's because of the location of the hair loss. Normally fungal infection start around the nose or eyes, the mouth isn't normally wet. I'm not saying it can't happen around the mouth too, just not common. If say the water bottle leaks or something causing the fur to get wet there it can happen. If she is drooling there is a mouth issue, it could be malo, it could be something caught in her teeth, a tooth spur, or even overgrowth of the molars trapping the tongue.

Have you been weighing her, and have a base weight from when you got her to compare? Or are you just saying no weight loss based on looks and feel? Also, malo is simply misalignment of the teeth, which is a problem since all their teeth grow, and need to line up to properly wear down. Sometimes, until it gets bad, you may not see many symptoms. Chins hide issues well, they will try to act normal as long as possible.

Is she itchy in the areas of hair loss? Also if it is a fungal infection keep in mind that ringworm (most common fungal infection) is contagious to humans, so you will want to wash after handling her. Also all wood in the cage will need to be replaced and everything else sterilized. Also change out the dust after every bath, otherwise you are reinfecting her.

Back