Urgent need advise, not eating at vet being syringe fed

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuji9991

My chinchilla developed an eye infection. She is 17 and developed a chronic eye infection about 14-15 about every 6 months. She was treated with eye drops and it would clear up after treatment. She has been seen by 3 vets over this span and had x-rays all instances of tooth problems have been ruled out.

This time her eye shut when the infection started which was new. The doctor prescribed Baytril this time around since it seemed the infection was more serious. About 6 days into treatment I noticed she was no longer eating or pooping.

I took her to the vet and they have had her for 3 days now. She is on Baytril still and pain medications and being Syringe fed. Her teeth and all her vitals are normal but she is showing almost no interest in food and when she poops its just a tiny one maybe about 1/16th the size of normal. She doesn't even show interest in her favorite treats.

Any ideas or advice are welcome.

Baytril is notorious for losing appetite in chins. Syringe feeding can help with that but the meds and stress can also cause bloat. This requires meds for stasis,gas, pain and continued hand feeding,encourage exercise, possibly some subq fluids from vet , and tummy massages. Stasis/bloat can kill chins almost as quickly as infection.

I have her home now the Vet thought she might respond better in her own environment. She started eating a little bit at the vet but at home I am finding she is still not interested in food, I am syringe feeding her Oxbo Critical Care and also her medications for Stasis, antibiotics and pain I feel like I want to stop the Baytril but the vet insists its necessary.

Day 3 at home they have me giving her several meds for pain gas and blockage. I stopped giving her the antibiotic I feel its killing her appetite and without her appetite nothing else really matters.

She has started pooping so that is good to see but its still not regular maybe about a 3rd the size of normal.

The most concerning is she has no appetite. I found evidence of her going through her hay this morning so that was good to see but she hasn't touched it since and she turns her nose up at her favorite treat of oatmeal even if I cook it. I don't think she has eaten any pellets.

I am starting to get really concerned she takes some of the food I am syringe feeding her but she doesn't eat much at all on her own. I know its hard to tell with chinchillas but I think she is having some abdominal pain. From the way she walks and she only stays in one spot for long hours.

I could take her to the vet again but they weren't able to change her condition from this over 3 days either. Should I start preparing for the worst? I have no idea how much discomfort she is in and if she stands a chance of recovering.

When my chinchilla was in stasis and would not eat I got some tips I can share with you.. belly massages, try uses a 1 ml syringe to feed him the critical care.. only a tiny bit comes out at a time so it may be easier than a 10 ml syringe, exercise.. this is important to keep things moving. Good luck and I hope the best for you and your chin. I know how hard it is scouring the internet for any information and being desperate for help. Hang in there!

Thanks for the response, I have been also includeing belly messages and although she is lathargic I do take her around the apartment so she has to run back to her room each time there is a feeding to keep her moving. The 1ml syringe is a good idea

Her stool today is runny, I have never seen her have runny poo before. It's not like liquid diarrhea just large clumps of runny poos. I am trying to think if that might be a good sign that she is finally pushing through whatever is infected or blocked in her GI. But maybe its actually a terrible sign. It just started maybe a few hours ago.

Today was the first promising day, after the squishy poops in the morning she returned more to normal. I got her to eat some of her treats today and even some Timothy hay. Her poops are still a little smaller but seem to be a bit more normal. I am continuing her drugs accept the antibiotic and also doing belly rubs and exercise.

I am happy to say she seems to be recovering nicely. She is pooping more regularly almost normal size and consistency, she has her energy back with no signs of the bloat discomfort, and most importantly she is now eating hay daily on her own.

I switched her to Timothy hay, (previously I fed her second cut alfalfa hay which I read is not course enough to keep her teeth properly worn). I don't think she eating pellets yet but she is interested now in all her other treats where previously she barely even touched those.

She is off all her medications now, her urine is a little dark I am watching than. Maybe its the meds working their way through.

In hind sight I really think it was the Baytril (Enrofloxacin) that the doctor gave her for her eye infection. She is either intolerant to it or the dose they gave her was too much for a 16 year old chinchilla. She showed signs of recovery almost immediately after I got her home and took her off it. I am disappointed in myself that I wasn't more firm with the doctor. I expressed my concern about her appetite and GIS immediately after they put her on it but they insisted it was necessary. At her age and what she experienced I am not going to risk Baytril again.

Back