R.I.P baby Hopper

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maha's Chins

With deep sorrow I have to announce that my 28 day old female kit Hopper passed away earlier this evening. Earlier I was terribly devastated but now I feel frustrated and confused.

Hopper was my bouncy baby girl, she was gaining weight steadily and her last weight was 137g day before yesterday, she was playing, feeding and hopping around as usual. This afternoon she was snuggling with her brother big head and momma Freckles, but this evening I noticed she was hiding in a corner I took her out and cuddled with her for few minutes and she was responsive than within a matter of minutes she started getting lethargic and I tried putting her under her momma, it is very cold in NY today and even though the heat is on in my apartment and her cage was covered with a blanket, I thought maybe she was cold since its been snowing and the apartment is still a bit cool regardless of the heat. Before I could do anything else she just laid on her side I tried moving her close to momma, and she coughed up a drop of clear liquid, and just laid on her side , I sat by her constantly rubbing her, and her mother tried nudging her and then she just stopped moving and passed on. I was devastated,she had shown no signs of distress earlier in the day and everything was business and play as usual, I cannot seem to grasp what happened to my little hopper , their cage was clean, covered and stocked, she was playing last night, and today she's gone!

I am a new Chin owner, and I am devastated, I want to know what happened and why her decline was so rapid. Her brother and mother seem fine and and are feeding and hopping around.

Attachments

• hopper.jpg
    hopper.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 41
so very sorry for your loss. Unfortunately this is one of the many things that can go wrong when breeding. The only way, you MAY know is if a neucropsy is done on her. Even then you may not know - often vets can't find anything with real young kits. I am sure there wasn't anything you could have done to save her. Something went wrong in her development.

I just feel so bad because Hopper and big head's birth was a huge surprise for us, we had rescued the mother from a very crappy store, and a month later babies!!!!!!!!! and Freckles is such a wonderful Mom, it's so sad , she was so healthy! sigh.....

Attachments

• hop.jpg
    hop.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 25
I'm so sorry for your loss of little Hopper. :flowers4:

At least you were with her to love and comfort her.

Lynn, Thanks, and Yes I am so grateful that at least I was there with her in last hour, if I had just found her laying dead I would've been devastated! So truly, I am trying to find comfort in the fact that at least she passed away surrounded by her mom and myself:(

I am so sorry for your loss and for your confusion as to why she died so suddenly, without warning. I hope her brother and mother continue to thrive for you.

Thank You everybody, just wanted to update that the Mommy Freckles and baby brother Big head are doing good! your support and kind words and really appreciated.

Sorry for your loss. It is always hard when they seem so healthy one day then gone the next.

Back