Is Rosewood "Nature's Salad" safe?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DebAndScoot

.......Soup Time
So I bought Rosewood's 'Nature's Salad' for my chinchillas, as it said it was safe for them. However, I didn't look hard at the ingredients list when I bought it and now I'm worried it might not be safe?

Anything with a '*' is stuff I couldn't find any or not a lot of info on. It says it contains:

Oat Flakes
Wheat Flakes
Marigold
Parsley
*Red Beet
Alfalfa
Nettle
Pea Flakes
Carrots
Dandelion
Plantain
*Burst Wheat
*Burst Maize
*Edible Leaves
Maize Flakes
*Cornflowers
Rose petals
Peppermint
*Melissa (lemon balm? Unsure)
Red clover

I'm not planning on giving my chinchillas any form of corn/maize. I tried looking up red beet/beet root and didn't find any solid answers. "Edible leaves" is just suspicious. I don't normally give them 'natural herb' treats since my girls are a bit picky.

Has anyone else given their chinchillas this mix? Is it safe for them?

I would say no, not safe, it contains several unsafe ingredients. The biggest issue is the maize, which is basically corn, and corn can grow a mold on it that is deadly to chins, so the whole mix is potentially contaminated. Aside from that there are some ingredients in there that are good. Red beets are high in sugar, and I'm pretty sure acidic, so not good. I agree the "edible leaves" is a red flag, I'd want to know what I am feeding my chin.

If you want some herb mixes or single herbs that are safe for chins, check out Fuzzies Kingdom most of them have serving size listed too.

Get the broad spectrum from Fuzzies, its a big hit with chinchillas and even smells good enough to tempt you to eat it!

And one other thing about corn products, corn is a fermentable fiber, to much will disrupt the bacterial colony in the digestive tract leading to bloat when the bad bacteria take over, stick with non fermentable fiber, better for digestive and teeth health.

Back