House for chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

I used to have a wood house for my chin that he LOVED but he chewed the thing apart. This was the one I had gotten for him: https://smile.amazon.com/Kaytee-100...d=1487801618&sr=8-1&keywords=chinchilla+house
Can someone recommend a good one that is durable but not too expensive? Right now he has a little rug in his cage that he loves to go underneath and have it cover him like a blanket but he has been peeing on it a lot lately (still goes in his litter pan but now on the rug too) and it's making his cage smell. I would like to get rid of that since I'm cleaning it so often and get him another house.

Thanks!

It might not be the most simple method, but i prefer to make my own. Can make it the size you want, thickness you want (to a degree).

Hut_01_zpsqphvgs6b.jpg

Sisters_01.jpg

And this one i just made and put in a cage today.

hut_02_zps6lpdocij.jpg

hut_03_zps619g3srh.jpg

neither. Nails, screws, staples arnt rly a good option. A chin can chew through the wood and get to them, and then hurt themselves. While a dab of elmers child safe glue is deemed ok, i didnt use that either on my latest hut. I used poplar dowles. Thin little circular pieces of wood; cut to size. Then drilled many holes in the wood and put the dowles through them. With enough it can make a fairly decent hold. Or if u wanted you could put a dab of glue in each hold with the dowle for a more solid hold.

If you look closely enough on the third pic (the new house on the wood floor) and look along the edges, you can see the little circle dowles. Of course they are all sanded down to make them harder to see.

Cage size?

I bought a nice size wire cage to house 2 chins I put a deposit on (babies not old enough to leave mama just yet) .. and am getting their new home ready. During my online research on what to put in their cage, I came across 6 articles about how to determine the correct cage size for chins. According to 3 of them, my cage is adequate. However, according to the other 3 articles, my cage is too small. The cage is 23" x 21" x 31" (LWH). One article says I need a cage 2ft x 2ft for every chin in the cage - ok that means my cage should be 4ft x 4ft? Then, another article says I need 3ft x 2ft per chin .. so that's 6ft x 4ft. The 3rd article says 6ft x 6ft per chin, so that's 12ft x 12ft .. that's basically the size of some master bedrooms. They all recommend the cage be at least 30" high. I'm thinking that the last 2 articles are really ridiculous - I've never seen two chins in a 6ft x 4ft cage, let alone have an entire bedroom made over into their chin-habbitat! :rofl:

Yes, I will be letting them roam around the apt whenever I am home, doing nothing (so I can properly supervise them) - so is my cage at least adequate to house my 2 chins?

Back