Covering the cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smidgeyy

I've asked some questions in regards to this in the past but I hadn't had much response so I wanted to try again.

Long story short... For the time being one of my cats is sleeping in my bedroom with me, which is where the chinchilla cage is. He usually leaves him alone for the most part, as he's only on the top half of the CN. My goal is to give him access to the entire cage again. He was restricted when he was sick but I want to expand again.

The issue is with the cat, who I know won't leave him alone. The chin is not bothered by him but I can't let him down there without something additional to cover the bars with. I bought chicken wire but it said it contained lead so I didn't know if that was safe or not...
I just want suggestions for what I can use to create an extra barrier between the chin and my cat. I'm hoping to move to a place where he has his own room but until then, I have to work with what I have.

I'd love for him to have the whole cage again. Any ideas?

I would say lead is not safe, go with steel hardware cloth. Like this . Make sure you put the hardware cloth on the inside not the outside so no chance of the chin getting caught between the bars and wire mesh.

It's a critter nation, I don't see how he would get caught?

I bought hardware cloth from tractor supply and only noticed after that there was a lead warning. >.<

I guess it depends on the chin, what spacing wire you use and how tightly you attach it, if the chin can get caught in it or not. Like for example if the chin tries to chew on the bars it could get it's teeth caught on one side between the bars and the mesh, or if our chin is a climber a foot or toe could go through the bars then get trapped between the bars and mesh, stuff like that. Worst case scenarios that come to mind that will probably never happen.

You can try grabbing some fleece and cutting out some fleece covers. You can grab some cheep grommets to attach them with.

May not be the greatest solution but it might help.

f96be55e-3e02-41d2-8b10-f72a611e381b_zpsj3ehxwvm.jpg

Cage%20Cover_01_zpsxohr1buk.jpg

Back