Wet Poops: Help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Checkerz

Hello, I am a new owner of a chinchilla. She's about 3 or 4 months old. I brought her home a few days ago, and noticed that she started having wet poops last night. I've been reading up on it, and I've found that it can be a bacterial/parasitic infection or just stress that is causing this. She seems to be acting fine otherwise, but she's been making a mess in her cage ever since this has happened. I read that substituting their pellets with just hay for a day might help. I tried this today, but it seems like it hasn't really helped. I'm a little scared since this is my first chinchilla, and I just wanna know what to do. Can anybody help me out? Anything would be appreciated!

Pull the pellets just like you already did. Hay diet for several days. Try offering a piece of burnt(black crispy wouldn't want to eat it,burnt) toast. Little one has been through a lot of stress so yes that can be a cause for loose poo. Are you feeding the same food as the breeder/owner was? A sudden change in food can also cause trouble. If she starts acting worse,
no improvement need to see chin smart vet. If you don't already have a chin smart vet, find one NOW . Hopefully you will never need one, but when a chin is sick/hurt is not the time to have to find chin smart vet.

Pull the pellets just like you already did. Hay diet for several days. Try offering a piece of burnt(black crispy wouldn't want to eat it,burnt) toast. Little one has been through a lot of stress so yes that can be a cause for loose poo. Are you feeding the same food as the breeder/owner was? A sudden change in food can also cause trouble. If she starts acting worse,
no improvement need to see chin smart vet. If you don't already have a chin smart vet, find one NOW . Hopefully you will never need one, but when a chin is sick/hurt is not the time to have to find chin smart vet.

I will give the burn toast thing a try. I'm giving her the same food that she was eating before I got her (Oxbow). I found a vet this morning that is going to be able to see her. Thank you for your help!

Back