Advice pls! Swollen genitals/sheath

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elsbells

Hello all, I'm looking for some advice please! I often find people on these forums more knowledgeable than some non-exotic vets. I'll be booking an appointment with my local vet tomorrow but thought it may be worth asking on here in the meantime. Unfortunately the last time I found a knowledgeable vet for chins it was 5 years ago and over an hours drive away :(
Yesterday I noticed my chins genitals/sheath was red and swollen - probably twice the size as normal. The penis is still in the sheath but appears swollen and red. I have inspected the penis for hair rings etc. the penis when out appears totally fine but it's swollen on the sheath/base when extended. There is no discharge. He is urinating still. I read somewhere that boys can sometimes nip themselves whilst cleaning. Any other ideas why it could be so swollen?
Thanks in advance

Did you find any dried sperm in the sheath, like a hard whitish clump? And yes they can nick themselves and get a little infection.

There is no discharge or dried sperm. I took him to the vets today and she seemed to think it could just be a skin infection to the sheath. He's on a weeks worth of baytril so fingers crossed there will be an improvement over the next few days.

Back