How can I get her to let me hold her?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PirateLife4Me

Hi Ya'll,

My sweet baby Ellie, my chinchilla, I have had for about going on three years now. She started out with my aunt and I know was terrorized because my aunt had about five dogs in the house too. So now I have the joy of being able to have her and she has been with me and I have tried to hold her but she absolutely does not like it. IF and I say IF lol I can get a hold of her I have to hold her very close to me or else she would get away. The odd thing is she is totally used to me. I have her so spoiled when I sit in my chair and eat she knows its snack time. I let her run out to get exercise and she will come right close to me where as before she didn't. She nibbles and tastes on my arm and fingers, if I have some fruit snacks in my hand she will put both front paws on my hand while eating, she will come right up to my noise and sniff, and I even tried this thing I saw online to see if she would do it. I read where some chinchillas will take food out your mouth (I know sounds weird lol) but I give her these pretzels from Petsmart that she LOVES and so they are long enough and I just hold it in my teeth and she comes right up and takes it. So my question is, is there something I can still try to maybe get her to let me hold her? Or is it possible maybe she just doesn't like it? I have read that somewhere as well, that some just don't like to be held. :hmm:

It may just be her personality. My 1st chin was cuddly and would perch on mine/my husband's shoulder for hours, whereas my 2nd chin would let us hold him long enough to scoop him out of the cage and move him to playtime area (shoulder perching meant about to escape/jump). He was friendly but, like yours, would only come to us on his terms. She seems pretty well bonded with you otherwise.

Thank you!

Well thank you for answering so quick! That makes me feel better, like you said I think she just doesn't like to be held because other wise I can do just about anything else with her. Wow I should have been apart of this site a long time ago.

some chins (most in my personal experience) dont like being held at all. Even if they are used to you. Partially its there natural instinct. If they are in the air then something is wrong (predator.) But some are ok with it.

My first chin chico i took in as well. He had been passed around many times, and was living in a place that is overwhelmingly stressful, even for a person much less a chin. So when he came to me, to say he was freaked and stressed out is still an understatement.

Over time he warmed up to me. Became very friendly and personable. But no matter what, he always would freak out if he thought you were going to pick him up. Eve, if you just touched the back half of his body and he 'thought' you might try to pick him up, he would freak. He was great with everything else. But that was a big no for him.

Back