Teaching Your Chin "No"?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlastingFonda

My 1 1/2 yr old chin named Gandalf is a playful little dude - and maybe even a bit too playful. When I open his cage to refill his food bowl, give him chin rubs, etc., he tries to jump on my shoulder. I normally would be fine with this, as I let him jump on my shoulder (and head, arms & everything else) during our play sessions in a safe environment while I'm sitting on the floor. But when he attempts to do it when I open his cage door and standing, I am worried he'll slip, fall, and seriously injure himself. He also may dart off and escape into areas not safe for him, but I'm less worried about this than him falling.

Each time he attempts this, I'll do the following:

1. Say "No" firmly but loudly.
2. Blow on him, as I read this is a a safe way of disciplining your chin. #2 I do after #1 fails to make an impact.
3. Both of the above numerous times

He does seem at least temporarily dissuaded, especially with the blowing (which doesn't seem harmful to him outside of giving him a whiff of my stinky breath:laughitup:). But the next time I open his door, he'll try again, so it doesn't seem as if any lessons are being learned.

Any other training ideas? Maybe giving him a small treat if he lurches a bit like he wants to jump on my shoulder, I tell him "No" and he backs off? Does this type of reinforcement even work?

Back