Posting question for the vet.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llittlebllonde

How do I post a question for the vet? I don't seem to have the option on starting a thread in that topic.

You send it to me, I send it to her, I post her response.

My question is what to use as a dewormer. I know chins don't get fleas really, but my cat does and we have had a horrible time getting rid of them. The cat recently had to be dewormed and I am afraid if one of the fleas jumps on my chin and she picks it off the surface of her fur she may get the worms as well. I am 2 hours away from a big city with a chin vet.
Thanks!

Fleas don't transmit worms through their bites. Animals gets tapeworms by eating an infected flea. I have never heard of a chin getting worms. You should not treat with anything OTC anyway, and a vet will generally not recommend something like that anyway without an exam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am very sure the fleas in my house are infected. I understand that chins don't get fleas but stated I was concerned about one jumping on my chin and her chewing or biteing it off. She eats anything she touches her teeth too.

I have spoke with my local vet. He is doing his own research. I am curious what other people with chins have used or what their vet prescribed.

If your house is that infested with fleas, might I suggest sending your cat to be flea bathed, removing your chin from the home, and bombing? If it is to the point where fleas are jumping around, I don't care what medicine you put on your animals, it isn't going to get rid of them. Fleas are my worst nightmare because of all my animals.

I won't even use topical flea medicine on my dogs or cat because there have been so many instances of toxicity. I bathe them in dawn dishwashing liquid, bury my carpets and furniture in diatomaceous earth, and treat the living heck out of my yard with beneficial nematodes. I have not had a flea here in four years (knocks on wood). You can even rub the diatomaceous earth all over your cat and it does a fantastic, nontoxic job. You could have your chin dust with it in his dust bath as well, since it is food grade and edible. Sprinkle by your doors, around the foundation of your house, etc., as well. I leave it on the carpet for a couple days and walk all over it so it works its way down deep (put it on the furniture too), then vacuum it up. No more fleas. You have to treat your yard though. You will never get rid of them if you don't get them at their source.

Thanks for the advice Tunes. I only have one room with carpet and treated it when I moved in 6 months ago with what the vet recommended. A pyrethrum spray, before I adopted my chin. I have yet to see fleas hopping around but i stopped using the topical stuff on the cat because he is highly allergic and scratches himself till he is all miserable and scabby :( I couldn't bring myself to put the topical stuff on him in that condition. So He ended up back at the vet who gave us an oral flea med this time. I don't really ever get flea bites so the only way I can tell is by looking on the cat and he certainly had more than his fair share. My entire town has a pretty big problem with fleas. It is odd though because he is rarely outside. Guess I will try what you suggested cause the cat is miserable. I just didn't want to take the chance that the chin would eat a flea.

Chins eat all manner of strange things, but I would guess it would be fairly hard for them to even catch a flea if they were so inclined. Those little buggars are FAST. Try the diatomaceous earth. Rub it all over your kitty and sprinkle it on your wood floors, carpeted floors, and furniture. Let it sit as long as you can (several days would be best, even if you have to cover your furniture with sheets so you can sit), then vacuum it up. I would also highly recommend treating your yard with the beneficial nematodes. You can't even see them, they come in this white powder like stuff that you mix in one of those weed sprayers with water, then you treat your yard. I have only had to do it once each summer because all the stray cats come through my fenced in yard and I need to protect my dogs.

I would not let him outside at ALL once you treat him. As soon as you do, I mean the instant he walks outside, he is going to have fleas again. They are in your yard, in your dirt, everywhere. If you want to keep him flea and chemical free, keep him inside. I had a dog who was allergic to fleas once and it was Godawful. Normal dogs can go out once the yard is treated and they are fine, but let an allergic dog go out and it's like the fleas know and they attack.

Back