Sudden odd behavior please help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket29

Rocket&Bilbo
Hi, I’ve had Bilbo, my second chinchilla, for a couple of months now. He and Rocket, my first chinchilla, share a room. Recently I reorganized the room, putting Bilbo and Rocket on the same wall with their cages about 8 inches away from each other. I also put a new waterproof rug on the floor that might be an odd smell to them. However, over the past few days Rocket has been behaving very oddly. During playtime, he continuously tries to cause trouble by attempting to climb Bilbo’s cage to get to him. (I lock Bilbo/Rocket on his top floor so they can’t reach each other when the one of them is out). Not only this, but he makes loud odd noises and releases the burnt almond smell from his glands. He does this around the area beneath their cages. He doesn’t take too much interest in the toys out, he just tries to cause whatever trouble he can. He just acts crazy and it seems like the only thing on his mind is to get to Bilbo. He tries to climb his cage, dig at the rug, and bite on obstacles that’s between him and Bilbo. The noise he makes sounds like a squeak that gradually grows more intense. Bilbo, on the other hand, doesn’t do anything wrong during playtime; he leaves Rocket’s cage alone. Please help, I’m worried about Rocket and I may have to give up Bilbo if Rocket continues to act this way. I’m trying to do everything I can to prevent having to do this. I want both Rocket and Bilbo to be happy and relaxed. Please respond ASAP
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry too much about it. He can grunt and make noises all he wants, but as long as he can't physically get to him, it's all good. As long as he's eating, drinking, peeing, and pooping normally, it's okay. He's showing a lot of dominance, and if you want to help with that cut off Rocket's whiskers. Cut them fairly short, leave maybe an inch or even less if you can. It works wonders with aggression.

Alright thanks so much I’ll try this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back