Is it ok to?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnimalLover87

Is it ok to use a c&c cage for hedgehogs? And what is the minimum sizes? I would love to adopt a few hedgehogs. They are so cute.

Yes many use c&c for me my question is always how big can I possibly make it. I'm not a minimum size person at all.

Oh ok. How big is your cage and how many hedgehogs do you have? Just for an idea of the cage size i may need for when I get them

Yes many use c&c for me my question is always how big can I possibly make it. I'm not a minimum size person at all.

Ok that's good to know. Thanks. How big should the c&c cage be for 2-4 hedgehogs? And can they be fed Sweet meadow farms timothy pellets?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, c&c work well as long as you have:
1) enough space to accommodate hedgie and hedgie's accessories (ie, wheel, hidey place, food & water dishes, place to go potty, room to run around) -- I'd estimate ~3 square feet minimum to fit everything in and have places where hedgie can still roam. Like melbur10, I'm not a minimum size advocate.
2) a way to keep the temp consistent

If you're thinking of multiple hedgies, be aware that housing two males together --> fighting (ie, don't do it); a male and a female --> breeding (ie, don't do it); females together sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Each will need her own wheel and hiding spot. And you'll need to be ready to separate them into their own space if they decide they no longer care for one another or if one becomes ill or injured.

Yes, c&c work well as long as you have:
1) enough space to accommodate hedgie and hedgie's accessories (ie, wheel, hidey place, food & water dishes, place to go potty, room to run around) -- I'd estimate ~3 square feet minimum to fit everything in and have places where hedgie can still roam. Like melbur10, I'm not a minimum size advocate.
2) a way to keep the temp consistent

If you're thinking of multiple hedgies, be aware that housing two males together --> fighting (ie, don't do it); a male and a female --> breeding (ie, don't do it); females together sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Each will need her own wheel and hiding spot. And you'll need to be ready to separate them into their own space if they decide they no longer care for one another or if one becomes ill or injured.

Yea I read that putting 2 males together isn't good cause they would kill one another. And a male and female just makes babies. So I was thinking to try two females. But I would like to just start off with one.

I have enough room to build a 2x7 cage. But making a 2x4 should be plenty big enough?

Back