What is safe to use for litter?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chik_lets0715

(I tried searching for a thread with this as a topic, sorry if it already exists)I just purchased a carolina storm wheel, which was a very hard decsion. I regret not doing to from the start, since I live in Canada shipping doubled the price. And I don't know if she would make the switch from her flying saucer to this wheel, as she hates change. I don't think she uses her wheel much and when she does she seems awkard. I'm hoping she loves this wheel, fingers and toes crossed! Ayhow another reason I decided to get it is the ltter box, her wheel is currently on a lid which really doesn't contain the mess. I've tried using paper towel but she rips it apart so I use nothing. What is a safe litter to use (won't get into her sensitive areas, as I know that can be a problem for boys, not sure about girls), I'm looking for something she won't decide she can rip apart and make a bed out of. Wood of any kind is not an option, just walking down the aisle affects my breathing so it's not something I can have in my house (I hope my ramble makes sense)
Is this an option:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12339026
(thought about giving her a house with a bunch of this in it in her play pen, cause my guess is she'll have fun in it)

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12341309

I've tried another brand of that first stuff you posted. One of my hedgies like burrowing through it... she loved to play in it; had no interest in pottying in it. Another hedgie pretty much ignored the stuff. A major drawback is that it's dusty (so not so good for the hedgies to breathe in) and it gets everywhere. Just a little bit sticks to you or hedgie or whatever and then you start finding it in the cage (okay, so far normal), on the floor (okay, understandable), in the hallway (um...), on your couch (??), in your washing machine (?!), in your fruit bowl (!!!?!), in your car (ARGH!!!)...

I've never used the second. I'd be a bit worried about what would happen if hedgie ingested it. There's a problem with her eating the first too... causes blockages... very serious condition.

I think it's best to go with what's simple and easy for you and poses the least risk for hedgie: a paper towel or a small piece of fleece that serves as a wheel-mat. Given yours rips the paper towel apart, I'd just use some wheel mats. I started out with ones that were about 4"x8" and put them under the edge of the running surface... like where hedgie gets on and off the wheel... and where the pee would naturally drain off to. I have bigger ones now... like 8"x8" or bigger to catch a bit more pee and help wipe off messy feet. I just use cut up pieces of fleece, so none of mine are exact sizes... I just eyeball the measurements.

Back