paper towel

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chik_lets0715

I forgot to open the curtins this morning so it was dark in the house all day and my little one (Skittles) got confused I think I thought it was night so she was up. I came home and she had moved her wheel across her cage (amazing since shes 5.5 weeks old and the wheel is a 12 inch flying saucer, so not light!) and she pulled the paper towel off the lid I have below her wheel for a litter box and tried pulling it into her house. She ripped some of it up and I'm really hoping she didn't eat any. Any idea what I should use for her litter box, I don't want her eating the paper towel because I doubt it's good for her. I think she may have gotten hungry, becuase I don't keep food in her cage during the day. Any ideas?

I use paper towel in the litter box too. Most likely she was just playing and using the paper towel to nest. If you don't want to use paper towel, you can try Yesterday's News. A lot of people use that. It's a litter made out of old newspapers.

I like the name Skittles. It sounds like she had fun trashing her cage!

The problem I have with YN is that people have found staples and plastic bags and other non-paper products.

She most likely isnt eating the paper towel. They are not rodents so paper products are not something they go for. I personally would keep using the paper towel ifI were you. If you HAD to have an alternative you can get fleece strips and use that. Then to wash it you put them in a lingerie bag and throw it in the wash with the rest of the hedgie laundry. I do this for dig boxes which are just the fleece strips stuffed into a tissue box.

Its really cute when you see them running on the wheel with the fleece then take it in the house go back on the wheel to pick up more then run home..and do it all over again.

Back