Prefered cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your cage prefference, current cage, or future cage?

• C&C cage

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • Clear Plastic Bin(s)

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Ferret Cage

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Rabbit Cage

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Aquarium

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Store Bought Cage

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • A homemade, original cage

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
Can hedgies escape the marchioro Tommy 120 through the bars because the bar spacing is pretty large.

Many people use that cage for their hedgehogs. The only concern might be if he/she is very small as a baby but you can weave stiff plastic or cardboard in and out of the lower bars to prevent baby from getting to the bars. I would imagine the bar spacing on that cage is no different than on most rabbit cages. What is the measurement between the bars?

Nancy, they might be an inch. I never measured the bar spacing though. I use one of these cages for quarantine, the bar spacing is fine for adults. I might be worried if I had a tiny baby hedgehog, but again you just wrap something between the bars until the hedgehog gets bigger.

Nancy, they might be an inch. I never measured the bar spacing though. I use one of these cages for quarantine, the bar spacing is fine for adults. I might be worried if I had a tiny baby hedgehog, but again you just wrap something between the bars until the hedgehog gets bigger.
Yeah, I kind of figured they'd be a standard bar spacing. The Marchioro cages are very popular and I'm sure they'd be standard.

Unless you have ramps or something leading up toward the wire part, the plastic bottom on the Tommy 120 should be high enough to prevent a baby hedgie from climbing out. I think by the time a baby is long/tall enough to reach the wire part, the baby will be too wide to squeeze through.

I prefer a very large rabbit cage, when I first got Aiden, my friend had a ferret nation cage that she let me use, even though i made lots of modifications to make it hedgie safe ,he didnt like it at all, plus it is bulky and very heavy and hard to move around ,y house and Aiden's not a climber so he never used the bottom part of his cage which was a waste, He much prefers to run and explore which is why i prefer a large rabbit style cage wire on top/plastic on bottom (50cmx23cmx24cm) but thats just my preference, it really depends on your needs and your hedgies needs.

Back