fleece!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

andraealynne

I gave up completely on using the corn cob bedding that Zach gave to me when I bought Shadow from him. I didn't like how it was always stuck in his quills, and that it got EVERYWHERE. I vacuumed the living room four times in three days!!

So I took a sheet of orange polar fleece and I cut it in half. Folded three times, it fits perfectly in Shadow's cage (awesome). Thing is, I haven't sewn it yet. And Shadow keeps crawling in between the layers of fleece and getting a bit lost.

Would it be okay if I hand sewed it so he can't get inside? I really don't want him to get lost enough that he can't get out for water/food/wheel, even though I do understand his need to burrow. I'm also planning on hand-sewing him a bag to snuggle in.

I do own a sewing machine, but it's on the other side of the city right now. The hand-sewn-ness would be temporary until I can get my machine over here. And yes, I'd make sure that my stitches were teeny and that he couldn't hook his nails in them.

I don't know sewing terminology, but If you can hide the stitches, that would be okay. :)

Problem with hand stitching is it is difficult to get a very tight stitch. With a little pulling or digging he may pull those stitches loose. A loose thread (or hair) can quickly become entangled around a leg, cutting off circulation.

To be honest, I don't know that he will become lost. I've had plenty that would burrow between layers of fabric and they always find their own way back out. You will likely be better off if you give him something to burrow into. For one of my hedgehogs I have several pieces of fleece that I throw into a igloo. When she feels the need to burrow, she goes inside and buries herself. She gets herself quite tangled up in the fleece, but always manages to get back out when she wants to.

The chance of an adult hedgehog getting lost in a one fold over piece of fleece is unlikely. If you had a really big piece with multiple folds that would be more likely. If you are concerned, instead of having one folded over piece, cut it in half and give him two layers.

Hand stitching a stretchy fabric such as fleece is difficult as the stitches do not stretch and usually end up breaking.

I'm really glad you've ditched the cob stuff, I believe it is the same stuff that was very bad for hedgies. As for the sheets of fleece, I think Shadow will be fine until you can get your sewing machine.

Back