First Time Chinchilla Owner! Is what I have good?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganzer

Hey, everyone. I just got my first chinchilla today! While I know some of the basics, theres probably definitely room to improve. I joined this website to make sure I give my new pet the best life it can have! :thumbsup:

Here is a picture of him (but I can't think of a name... yet..)
m9ZGGIE.jpg

And here is the picture of the cage. (Sorry it's not a great pic.)
N6UkfQu.jpg

I am new, so any suggestions and/or help would be greatly appreciated!

Each platform is plastic. I know this isn't ideal, but by the time I had everything bought other stores were closed. Tomorrow I plan on getting some fleece to cover every platform because I have seen a few people say fleece bedding is ok. Is this true? Will the plastic be ok if i wrap each piece in fleece and wash it every few days? The very bottom already has a fleece blanket on it. Also, are the ramps necessary? All except one platform has a hole in it, and I wasn't sure if the chinchilla would hurt himself falling through one, so I kept them there until I could get an answer.

I'm using Ox Bow chinchilla food as you can see in the picture of the cage. I have heard this is a good food to use, and my friend recommended it as well. Along with that I have a wood... hay dispenser thing? with timothy hay in it, and timothy hay is also sprinkled on every platform (probably overboard, lol, but he eats it...)

The toys I have are: a flying saucer wheel, a wood hut, 2 willow balls with bells inside, about 9 apple orchard (i think) sticks, and a hanging wood toy with a pinecone and a few other things on it. Are these okay to use? Anything I should take out? I'm also looking for more toys to buy! Any suggestions for that would be great as well.

I have a water bottle by the brand GRREAT CHOICE. It's 32 oz, but I'm not sure if the part where he drinks from is too big or not. How can I tell? How can I tell if he is getting water from it when he drinks, too? Should I return this and get a smaller one?

And last... the hammock.... Is he going to use that? Ive had him for about 7 hours now, and he hasn't touched it. It came with the cage, so I'm thinking its probably not that great for a chinchilla, but I wasn't sure.

This is all I can really think of for now... If I come up with any more questions I will post them here.

Thanks everyone! :neener:

Hey, everyone. I just got my first chinchilla today! While I know some of the basics, theres probably definitely room to improve. I joined this website to make sure I give my new pet the best life it can have! :thumbsup:

Here is a picture of him (but I can't think of a name... yet..)
m9ZGGIE.jpg

And here is the picture of the cage. (Sorry it's not a great pic.)
N6UkfQu.jpg

I am new, so any suggestions and/or help would be greatly appreciated!

Each platform is plastic. I know this isn't ideal, but by the time I had everything bought other stores were closed. Tomorrow I plan on getting some fleece to cover every platform because I have seen a few people say fleece bedding is ok. Is this true? Will the plastic be ok if i wrap each piece in fleece and wash it every few days? The very bottom already has a fleece blanket on it. Also, are the ramps necessary? All except one platform has a hole in it, and I wasn't sure if the chinchilla would hurt himself falling through one, so I kept them there until I could get an answer.

I'm using Ox Bow chinchilla food as you can see in the picture of the cage. I have heard this is a good food to use, and my friend recommended it as well. Along with that I have a wood... hay dispenser thing? with timothy hay in it, and timothy hay is also sprinkled on every platform (probably overboard, lol, but he eats it...)

The toys I have are: a flying saucer wheel, a wood hut, 2 willow balls with bells inside, about 9 apple orchard (i think) sticks, and a hanging wood toy with a pinecone and a few other things on it. Are these okay to use? Anything I should take out? I'm also looking for more toys to buy! Any suggestions for that would be great as well.

I have a water bottle by the brand GRREAT CHOICE. It's 32 oz, but I'm not sure if the part where he drinks from is too big or not. How can I tell? How can I tell if he is getting water from it when he drinks, too? Should I return this and get a smaller one?

And last... the hammock.... Is he going to use that? Ive had him for about 7 hours now, and he hasn't touched it. It came with the cage, so I'm thinking its probably not that great for a chinchilla, but I wasn't sure.

This is all I can really think of for now... If I come up with any more questions I will post them here.

Thanks everyone! :neener:

The shelving you definitely want to cover or replace with wood shelves and ledges. Fleece is good so long a the chin doesn't eat it, fleece is the only chin safe fabric since it doesn't shred or have strings like others, but still can cause a problem if it's eaten. Most chins realize the fleece doesn't shred and lose interest in it. You don't want any plastic accessible, it's not digestible and will lead to a blockage if chewed and swallowed. Ramps are not needed, chins hop not walk so should have no issue hoping from level to level.

The hammock is not chin safe, the straps don't look like fleece and I can't tell what the fabric part is, as said fleece is the only safe option. You can make or buy a fleece hammock, some chins like them others don't it depends on the chin. Only 7 hours isn't enough time to tell if a chin likes something or not, give it a few months.

I'm guess that water bottle is also plastic, chins chew plastic bottles, and 32 oz is way too big for a single chin. Most chins drink a few ounces a day and need fresh water everyday or two, so unless you want to be dumping out 30 oz or so of water a day I'd get a smaller bottle, I use 12oz bottles for my two chins. You also want a glass bottle so it's chew proof. You can use a marker to mark on the bottle to make sure the chin is drinking. You also want to make sure the water you are giving is filtered water, unfiltered tap water can contain harmful things for chins.

The flying saucer is no good for chins, it's plastic and even if not chewed really don't hold up to the wear and tear of a chin. Also as the chin runs you have plastic rubbing plastic creating plastic dust the chin is breathing in.
Check the classifieds and banner ads on the forum here for vendors for toys and cage stuff, it's much cheaper and safer then what you'll find at a pet store. The willow balls you might want to make sure the bells aren't too small and could be swallowed. The pine cone I'm not sure about, they are hard to get fully cleaned and the sap if not fully dried/baked is toxic to chins.

The food is good, same with the hay, most of the chin's diet should be hay (about 75% hay) so unlimited hay and hay in multiple places is good.

You didn't mention dust bath, chins need dust baths a couple times a week. A 1 gallon fish bowl works well, or even those plastic bath houses, you don't want to leave the bath in the cage for more then 10 mins or so at a time though or the chin could pee in the dust.

If you spend sometime surfing around the forum here you should be able to find the answer to most questions, and learn a lot, :) . Most things have been answered many times.

The shelving you definitely want to cover or replace with wood shelves and ledges. Fleece is good so long a the chin doesn't eat it, fleece is the only chin safe fabric since it doesn't shred or have strings like others, but still can cause a problem if it's eaten. Most chins realize the fleece doesn't shred and lose interest in it. You don't want any plastic accessible, it's not digestible and will lead to a blockage if chewed and swallowed. Ramps are not needed, chins hop not walk so should have no issue hoping from level to level.

The hammock is not chin safe, the straps don't look like fleece and I can't tell what the fabric part is, as said fleece is the only safe option. You can make or buy a fleece hammock, some chins like them others don't it depends on the chin. Only 7 hours isn't enough time to tell if a chin likes something or not, give it a few months.

I'm guess that water bottle is also plastic, chins chew plastic bottles, and 32 oz is way too big for a single chin. Most chins drink a few ounces a day and need fresh water everyday or two, so unless you want to be dumping out 30 oz or so of water a day I'd get a smaller bottle, I use 12oz bottles for my two chins. You also want a glass bottle so it's chew proof. You can use a marker to mark on the bottle to make sure the chin is drinking. You also want to make sure the water you are giving is filtered water, unfiltered tap water can contain harmful things for chins.

The flying saucer is no good for chins, it's plastic and even if not chewed really don't hold up to the wear and tear of a chin. Also as the chin runs you have plastic rubbing plastic creating plastic dust the chin is breathing in.
Check the classifieds and banner ads on the forum here for vendors for toys and cage stuff, it's much cheaper and safer then what you'll find at a pet store. The willow balls you might want to make sure the bells aren't too small and could be swallowed. The pine cone I'm not sure about, they are hard to get fully cleaned and the sap if not fully dried/baked is toxic to chins.

The food is good, same with the hay, most of the chin's diet should be hay (about 75% hay) so unlimited hay and hay in multiple places is good.

You didn't mention dust bath, chins need dust baths a couple times a week. A 1 gallon fish bowl works well, or even those plastic bath houses, you don't want to leave the bath in the cage for more then 10 mins or so at a time though or the chin could pee in the dust.

If you spend sometime surfing around the forum here you should be able to find the answer to most questions, and learn a lot, :) . Most things have been answered many times.

Thanks for the reply! I have already switched the water bottle to a glass one that is smaller. It has a small duck in it, but its obvious that he is drinking a lot! I do have the supplies for a dust bath and have already given him one this week :).

I will take the hammock out. He doesn't seem interested in it at all... only the hay that fell in it when i was filling up his little hay feeder (i guess you could call it haha.)

I plan on replacing all the platforms with wood ledges sometime, but for now the best I can do is cover them with fleece. They have holes in them so I'm not quite sure how to go about it... or how to go about attaching them to the platforms... For the bottom I made a fleece cover and used binder clips on the outside of the cage to keep it on. If I used binder clips on the under side of the platforms do you think that would still be safe?

I understand trying to save money, but get rid of the cheap plastics saucer. They are not only dangerous, but also too small for a chinchilla to run on properly. I had one and once before I knew better, and. I upgraded to the metal version my chinchilla went crazy for it, because it was a bigger running surface that spins way easier, not to mention its lasting way longer. My pair used to flip the plastic one over when they were bored or mad at me, which they can't do with the metal one.

I also had that hammock (my chinchillas never chewed it luckily, but I'm glad I learned better!) and after purchasing a good fleece one I realized how small and poorly made that hammock was. My chinchillas now enjoy sleeping in their fleece hammock which they never did in the other one, because it was too small to safely lay in.

As far as the levels cover or remove them and get rid of the ramps when you do as most chinchillas will choose to jump over use a ramp any day! As far as sticks look around on here and you will find so many cheap sticks you won't believe it. Other chinchilla supplies can also be found on this site for way less than a store would charge. In the mean time look around and you will find lots of good advice!

I understand trying to save money, but get rid of the cheap plastics saucer. They are not only dangerous, but also too small for a chinchilla to run on properly. I had one and once before I knew better, and. I upgraded to the metal version my chinchilla went crazy for it, because it was a bigger running surface that spins way easier, not to mention its lasting way longer. My pair used to flip the plastic one over when they were bored or mad at me, which they can't do with the metal one.

I also had that hammock (my chinchillas never chewed it luckily, but I'm glad I learned better!) and after purchasing a good fleece one I realized how small and poorly made that hammock was. My chinchillas now enjoy sleeping in their fleece hammock which they never did in the other one, because it was too small to safely lay in.

As far as the levels cover or remove them and get rid of the ramps when you do as most chinchillas will choose to jump over use a ramp any day! As far as sticks look around on here and you will find so many cheap sticks you won't believe it. Other chinchilla supplies can also be found on this site for way less than a store would charge. In the mean time look around and you will find lots of good advice!

Thanks! It wasn't really to save money (it was actually pretty expensive at the store lol), but when I bought it I didn't know it wasn't good... I bought a ball as well and returned it the next day after learning they are more commonly known as "death balls" :)facepalm:)

I did take the hammock out after I read the other reply on here. i have some left-over fleece i can try to make a hammock out of, but I'm probably better off buying one. lol.

I do want to cover each level with fleece, but i'm not quite sure how to attach it and keep it on there yet. I was thinking of using binder clips on the under side of them, but i wasn't sure if thats safe. 3 out of the 4 levels also have a hole in them (from the ramps) so I wasn't sure how to make the fleece fit around that... or could i just put it over it? So far he hasn't been chewing on any of the plastic and I'm keeping a close watch (the cage is right beside my bed now.) That doesn't mean i'm waiting until he starts chewing on it to do something about it, but i think until i can find a way to safely get the fleece on there it should be fine. I'm trying to get it done within the next few days.

For now he has about 15 apple sticks, a wood house, a wood hay feeder, another wood hut thing, 2 wood hanging toys and one has a lava block on it, and a pumice stone to chew on. Also lots of hay everywhere and a bowl full of pellets :)

Thanks for the suggestions/tips!

Remove the plastic shelves and ramps. You can get pine boards at Lowes or Home deposit and cut them to size. a wood or lath screw and a fender washer on each side will hold it in.

Throw away the hammock. If he decides to chew on it overnight he can end up with an intestinal blockage and that could kill him. If you want him to have a hammock, get one that is all fleece. It is safer but will still need to be removed if he chews on it.

Return the plastic flying saucer and get a metal one. the plastic ones have the same problem as the shelves and they are too small. they often fll over with the chin on it. You r little guy appears to be quite young, He actually should not have a wheel at all until he is 6 months old. Babies are stupid and will run until they have seizures for low blood sugar or overheating.

Get a smaller water bottle. 32 oz is way too big. an 8 - 12 oz bottle works well. You will need to change the water at least once every 2 days. If you only partially fill the 32 oz bottle, it will leak because it cannot form an appropriate vacuum.

I would cover the holes with fleece and I have heard of using binder clips on the fleece to keep it down. You could also make them a slip pillow case like cover which is what I did.

As you need to cover the whole platform, I woulds sew the fleece into a 'pillowcase' so the platform is completely contained inside it. Cut out two pieces of fleece slightly bigger than the platform, sew up three sides by hand or machine, pop the platform in and ladder stitch it shut so the thread isn't reachable. If you want to be able to take the platform out again, make one of the pieces of fleece five or six inches longer so that when you sew three sides up you have a flap that can be folded over and tucked firmly underneath rather than stitched shut. Then make a small slit in the fleece so the brackets or whatever holds it in place poke through so you can still attach them.

As you need to cover the whole platform, I woulds sew the fleece into a 'pillowcase' so the platform is completely contained inside it. Cut out two pieces of fleece slightly bigger than the platform, sew up three sides by hand or machine, pop the platform in and ladder stitch it shut so the thread isn't reachable. If you want to be able to take the platform out again, make one of the pieces of fleece five or six inches longer so that when you sew three sides up you have a flap that can be folded over and tucked firmly underneath rather than stitched shut. Then make a small slit in the fleece so the brackets or whatever holds it in place poke through so you can still attach them.

Thank you! I will definitely try!

I would cover the holes with fleece and I have heard of using binder clips on the fleece to keep it down. You could also make them a slip pillow case like cover which is what I did.

Im going to try making a pillow case-like cover for them. Thanks :thumbsup:

Remove the plastic shelves and ramps. You can get pine boards at Lowes or Home deposit and cut them to size. a wood or lath screw and a fender washer on each side will hold it in.

Throw away the hammock. If he decides to chew on it overnight he can end up with an intestinal blockage and that could kill him. If you want him to have a hammock, get one that is all fleece. It is safer but will still need to be removed if he chews on it.

Return the plastic flying saucer and get a metal one. the plastic ones have the same problem as the shelves and they are too small. they often fll over with the chin on it. You r little guy appears to be quite young, He actually should not have a wheel at all until he is 6 months old. Babies are stupid and will run until they have seizures for low blood sugar or overheating.

Get a smaller water bottle. 32 oz is way too big. an 8 - 12 oz bottle works well. You will need to change the water at least once every 2 days. If you only partially fill the 32 oz bottle, it will leak because it cannot form an appropriate vacuum.

I would have to buy them. I don't have the proper size drill bits or a saw to cut the wood. For now I'm covering the platforms fully in fleece until I can get the wood shelves.

I did take the hammock out the day before yesterday. Planning on having a friend make a fleece hammock for me. :)

I'm not sure if I still have the packaging for the flying saucer, so i might just have to take that as a loss. I have already taken it out because someone else let me know that it's not that great, but I didn't know they weren't supposed to have a wheel until about 6 months. Thanks for letting me know!

I have already switched to a much smaller glass water bottle and he seems to be able to get water easier from it.

I'm not sure why this thread posted twice. :facepalm: Probably my fault lol

Update: I took one of the platforms out and covered the other 3. There is no more plastic (That he can get to) inside the cage. the bottom tray is wrapped in fleece, the 3 platforms are wrapped in fleece (and binder clipped. this is safe, correct?), and the wheel has been removed. I said it earlier, but I have switched from a large plastic water bottle to a small glass one and he seems to like it much better.

Thanks everyone for your help :) That fleece was a pain, so I'm definitely going to start searching for some affordable wood ledges. If anyone knows where to purchase some (maybe 3-5) without it being too expensive, please let me know :)

red meat vs. poultry vs. fish

What cat food base is best for a hedgehog - red meat, poultry, or fish? Is there any type of meat that should be avoided?

You could always go to the home improvement store and buy the hardware and most of the time the stores are happy to cut the wood pieces to any size you want. Just get the plain kiln dried pine boards, make sure there is no sap or anything sticky on them and have them cut to the length you want. You just want regular wood not anything treated. If you need help you can just ask an employee to point you in the right direction. Someone else can probably help you with the hardware to purchase as I can't remember what it is called in the stores...

Do not get partical boards or plywood, which are not safe.

Hello Ganzer!
You have an adorable chinchilla! :) My chinchilla is also a standard, but he is darker. I would agree with Amethyst on the fact that you do not want to put in a plastic flying saucer. I would also replace the plastic water bottle since chinchillas tend to destroy them. I personally do not use fleece as liners in my chinchilla's cage since my chinchilla pees in all four corners of the cage. But if your chinchilla tends to only go in one corner, you could make one out of a metal square cake pan and drill holes into it so then you can attach it to the cage using bolts and wing nuts. I have bought 3 cages since owning my little fuzzies, unfortunately. This third cage is does not have plastic shelves; however, it has a metal rack and a plastic pan. But what is nice is that you can remove the metal rack so then it allows the chinchilla to be on the litter instead of wire flooring. My chinchilla has not destroyed the pan at all, but then again he does not like plastic. I have also seen people house chinchillas in critter nation cages with fleece liners. Those are nice since you can add levels to it and it is easy to clean the entire cage since the doors open fully, but the problem is that there are plastic shelves. Here is the 3rd cage (hopefully final) cage that I bought for my chinchilla. I am very happy with it, though I wish it had a metal pan and it had wider doors.
http://www.exoticnutrition.com/chinchillacage.html
I agree that Oxbow is a wonderful food. I feed Nobu (my standard chinchilla) that stuff and he is very healthy. I also get him the timothy hay cubes (since he refuses to eat loose hay), which I buy from DrsFoster&Smith since it tends to be cheaper for me to shop there than to go into PetSmart or Petco. They also sell the food in bulk, which is cheaper in the long run. A 25 lb bag lasts about 6 months for my chinchilla and that is with him eating mostly pellets since he is not big on hay.
I have recently put a hammock into Nobu's cage, which I was doubtful that he would use it since he is 10 years old and does not like to try new things. However, it took him a few days before he started to use his hammock. I am sure your little one will use it eventually. If you find him eating the hammock, you can make a no sew hammock out of fleece. My chinchilla destroyed a hammock like that but he has not chewed his homemade fleece one. You can make a metal wheel, though I would not advise it if you plan on having your chinchilla in your bedroom since the wheel is noisy. I found a video on youtube on how to make a homemade wheel that is quiet, but I will need to make improvements upon it since the wheel is a bit crooked. Here is the link telling you how to make a wheel:
http://www.spoiledchins.net/wheelinstructions.htm

-KrystalTears

Finding Fleece

I saw this post and I’m in the same boat now as a new chin owner as this person a year plus ago. Wondering if anyone can advise where to get 10% fleece for shelf liners and also good fleece hammocks. I’m not much for DIY...just not very handy so anywhere I can buy stuff premade is better. Thanks for the tips!

Back