Cage mate pulling fur?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowflake311

My 2 males have been getting along so well for months. I went on vacation for 2 weeks and I come back to find Nibbler is missing fur. I had a friend watching them maybe that stressed them out?

Turns out Potato his cage mate was over grooming him. I watched it happen. Potato would be grooming than pull out fur from nibbler and nibbler would bark. A few times Nibbler would bark a lot at Potato to keep him away. Then they are right back snug next to each other being cute.

I do have them next to a cage with 5 females. Most of the females are older well over 10 years. 2 are young under 5 years. I have since done some deep cleaning. Today I took the boys out to play and I changed their cage took everything out cleaned and and switched it around. I also put up blanket so they can not see the females any more. I think this has helped.

Has anyone had a same sex pair over groom their friend or pull fur. If so what did you do? did it work? Why where they pulling fur? Did you stop it?

No one has had this happen?

So they are still getting along or at least have an agreement I have been off work for the past week so I have been able to keep a close eye and ear on them. I never saw or heard a fight. I hope they have worked out their problems. I am looking for a used Critter nation cage in hopes I can add a top level to their change and split them up.

It is very annoying because Nibbler the one that is getting his fur pulled is not at all scared of potato they eat together no real signs of bullying. They are so weird. I am just going to keep a close eye on them.

I've never had that problem, so I didn't respond, but since no one else has I can give you my thoughts.

Sometimes rather then fur chewing themselves they can decide to chew on their cage mate. Basically the same things you would do to try to fix a fur chewer, try to find out the cause. In your case it's very possible that seeing the females may have been frustrating Potato. Especially since it sounds like blocking their view of the girls has helped I would said that is the cause right there. I do know some people have to house the males in another room to avoid issues. Age of females doesn't matter, they can breed their whole lives (once old enough), so even old chins will go into heat, which can cause males to go crazy. It doesn't sound like they have broken their friendship, it sounds more like just one was getting over excited. That can cause a fight if Nibbler decides to do more then just bark at him though.

Thank you. I was hopping someone would have an idea as to what is going on. Your thought are similar to what I was thinking. The Idea Potato might be pulling fur out of frustration. Seems like it could be a big part of it.

Potato seems to be very excited by the females. Where Nibbler has this laid back "I don't need no women in my life." kind of attitude. Nibbler is older and I bet was used for breeding a few times back in the day. When they were part of a big breeding herd. Potato seems to be a lot young. I don't think he ever was bred.

Nibbler has been out with females supervised. He does not bother them at all. A perfect gentle men. He does not ever touch them and they don't bother him. Potato I would never trust with the ladies. When he is out playing he runs up to their cage and bothers them. Nibbler never does that.

Ok I will just keep an eye on them. They seem to have worked things out. Potato was being overly needy too. He would never sleep with out Nibbler by his side. Now Potato is giving Nibbler more space. Potato lets nibbler come to him now. They are have been sleeping next to each other all afternoon Nibblers choice.

Thanks

Back