Wheel type?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bairnns

I'm a longtime chin owner who just got a hedgie! She is in a travel cage at the moment because we are, um, traveling. 😊

I have had up to 6 chins but only have two now. So I have LOTS of chin supplies that can cross over. Not the cage, my chin cages are homemade and mostly vertical.

I have two wheels not in use at home. One is a metal flying saucer, the good one. The other is a homemade saucer similar to the one from Ikeahackers: http://www.ikeahackers.net/2010/08/degu-disc-playground.html . It was never used (long story) so no chewing etc. also since I intended it for a chin I rimmed the edge with a smoth-edged metal strip.

I'd rather use the wood one because it takes up less cage floor space, leaving more room for other toys. Do you think she will be able to use it ok?

Cage size is TBD; when I get home I have a couple of unused cages that are big enough for short term use, and will probably make one for our new addition, Willow.

I would think so. A lot of people use flying saucers. I would only worry about it being completely flat in case your hedgie slips, you wouldn't want her flying off. Also, since I'm not sure for chins, for a hedgehog the wood has to be sealed because they will potty on it.

Agreed about needing to seal it due to the pottying issue. Wheels are the main potty area for hedgies.

In case that hedgie doesn't take to it, I'd have a back-up plan in mind. Like Larry's bucket or cake-topper wheels.

Seal it?

What is a safe sealant? My chins are pretty bad about potting on their wheels and shelves too, one in particular. The chins' wheels are metal but the shelves are pine. I was actually wondering about pure beeswax recently?

My hedgie, Willow, is not a chewer at all. At least so far.

TUA, Lori

Back