Chin not doing so well after Dental

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My rescue male Chinchilla, Milk who is roughly 3 years old recently underwent some Dental Work.

When my partner and I brought him home (last Sunday) he was eating, drinking and relatively active, since then he has slowly declined... We have been giving him his pain relief twice a day and a laxative provided by the Vets - which should be stopped within two days... his check up appointment is next Saturday.

In the last few days he has completely stopped eating, drinking, and very rarely moving... we have started syringe feeding him, due to research of forums (Pellets mixed with warm water) and are awaiting 'Oxbow Critical Care for Herbivores' to arrive so we can move him onto that.. (none of this was suggested to us by our vet)

Something noticeable about him is weight loss, luckily he was on the heavier side of a Chin, but now he's only slightly larger than my other 3.

I intend to call the vet tomorrow morning, to organise a sooner appointment, ultimately I just want to ask for advise on how to keep him as comfortable as possible and get him recovering. Or if anyone's been in the same situation - what are the best options?

Thanks,

Jules

sounds like you might want to get him to a vet as soon as you can. Not eating at all is bad. He could be having some issues. And if hes not eating his gut could go into stasis.

How much are you feeding him? Palpate his stomach gently, does it feel doughy or squishy? Taunt? He could have gas, pretty common with dental chins but is a medical emergency when not treated, he needs a vet asap.

Back