Chinchilla constipated/ill

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinchilla412

I have a year and a half old chinchilla I bred from a resucued pair I got from two different people. The day before yesterday I realized he wasn't acting normal, ie; sluggish when he is normally very active, not accepting treats or affection, and was not producing waste at playtime. I immediately took him to the vet for fear of gastrointestinal stasis. Before he went I ground up pellets and was force feeding him a gruel type mixture that he would only peck at. The vet said there didnt seem to be a blockage, and his bladder was empty. She didnt want to stress him by taking x-rays and sent me home with critical care and a few syringes of stool softner. I have been up for two nights and days syringe feeding him critical care, water and giving him the stool softner every eight hours but to no avail he will not produce droppings. My husbnad went to the store and bought some apple baby food and I gave him some of that as well. Is there anything else I can do? I am so upset.:cry3:

Still no stool :tantrum: he seems to be taking more to eat, aprox 3ml of critical care and 1-2ml of the apple sauce. But hes hit or miss with the water. Sometimes i can het him to take 2ml of water sometimes he just snubs it. He is urinating regularly. Should I take him back to the vet? Is there such a thing as a chinchilla enema? Im out of ideas! Please anyone with any ideas help! :cry3::cry3::cry3:

Back