Male chin agressive toward other male chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chichimom

One year ago I rescued an adult male chinchilla from a shelter that was closing. They knew very little about his history. After 6 mos. I decided to get him a friend, another male, about 5 mos old. I've tried many ways to introduce them, including starting with cages far apart, moving them gradually closer together, switching cages, one inside the cage, on e outside, using a playpen, etc. However, no matter what I try, my original male is extremely aggressive toward the younger male. He attempts to bite him at every opportunity. He has managed, on one occasion, to break the skin on the younger chin's lip, and to yank a tuft of hair out. Needless to say, the younger chin is terrified of the older one.
Neither chin is aggressive towards me, they each have large cages and play time outside the cage daily. I want so much for them to be able to play together. Please help.

Not all chins like all other chins, just like all humans don't like all other humans. If the personalities don't mesh a friendship just isn't going to happen. The fact that the older one is acting so aggressive makes me think he would probably kill the younger one if given the chance. Once fighting gets to the point of actually breaking skin I would never trust them together. If you keep trying to force it you will likely end up with a dead chin, or at the very least a seriously injured one.

Back