Concerned about Chinny Eye

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NillyTheChinchilla

Hello All,

I am very concerned about my chinny's eye.. She is a rescue and does not like to be handled so I am concerned about the trauma of taking her to a vet. Is her eye severe enough to warrant the trip to the vet? She has gotten watery eyes on and off for the last few years but this is the worst i have ever seen her eyes. She's her usual adventurous self and is not showing any behavioural changes.

your advice would be greatly appreciated!

view

Thanks!

I wouldn't stress her out at this point. It doesn't look red or anything. Does she rub at it or does it just happen?

How is the ventilation in your chin area? A long time ago at a chinchilla seminar I was told that when the eyes look like that it can be a sign of poor ventilation/circulation in your chin room. I had a few chins with it, put a fan on aimed at the floor to circulate air, and it cleared up the problem.

I can not see the photo. One of my rescue boys had what looked like a little eye infection. it was very mild and cleared up on it's own. I kept his cage EXTRA clean changing the fleece every 3 days. I open a window for the chins too so they get fresh cool air. This cleared it right up in a few weeks. His eyes are perfect now.

I have used over the counter pink eye drops on a older chins that is a mess. It has helped him he keeps his eye open more now I think it soothed his eye. I am bringing this one to the vet because the eye was the least of his problems. He also has an ear infection that I am treating but I fear all this is due to an upper respiratory infection. NOT GOOD .

Runny eyes can be due to stress, dust, something in the eye, and teeth problems. Some chins have sensitive eyes and can get watery eyes due to the dust bath. I had a rescue female that had the watery eyes more often when she took a bath.

Don't stress her out just watch her.

Back