No Pet Lease

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you. She is most likely off at college because she said that her 'home' is over 800 miles away. What is she supposed to do?

Find a place, simply put. Look on craigslist. There's always people looking for roommates and such, and rooms for rent, etc. I doubt she'd have too hard of a time finding somewhere to LEGALLY take the chinchilla.

Also, though, she even admitted to buying the chinchilla AFTER the rules were changed. She should have double checked and triple checked and gotten it in writing the chinchilla would be safe and her lease was still the same. And if animals weren't in the lease to begin with, then she shouldn't have gotten it period. Pets are in my lease. There's no limit on number and we only have to pay extra for the dogs, but they are in my lease.

It's irresponsible to bring an animal into a situation where you're you're not 100% certain of it's welcome and allowance.

I dont agree with it either, but continuing to pound the subject will only make the person this thread was obviously geared to feel worse.

She made a bad choice and now she will have to rectify the situation. I really do think this thread was made to make her feel even worse. That is NOT what a chin board is for. So then she gets upset, and possibly leaves, that benefits that chin how?

Honestly, I started this thread because it's a common occurance, especially around here, and was jogged in my memory by the other thread. I couldn't care less if the other posts that are OT were deleted, and already sent something to the mods about it.

The neighbors that used to live in the house to our right tried to hide their pit. They were allowed to have pets, but it was stipulated in the lease "no pits" because of insurance. Because they tried to hide one dog repeatedly, they were evicted AND lost the dog. Is that fair?

I don't know if that would apply here. Chinchillas, with the exception of the robot Las Vegas chins, aren't dangerous. But, if she were to lie about it repeatedly after getting caught, I suppose it could get her evicted. It depends on how angry to management people get.

It could be very possible that if it were brought to the attention of the apartment management, that they would allow her to keep the chin because it is a very quiet, non smelly, not too destructive animal.

I've taken in dozens of chins because they were not allowed in apartments over the years. A few apartment complexes really stick to their guns and make their tenants get rid of chins, some don't. A lot of times I think they don't understand about chinchillas at all. Either they think the chin is like a mouse and will get in the walls or that it's something that could spread disease or even they think that the chin will cause serious damage to the apartment. Like I said before...someone else owns the place, it's their rules and the rules of the apartment managers. I end up with lots of rescues because people don't think ahead or think that they can get away with something.

I don't think it's so hard to find a place where pets are allowed that one has to feel that they have no option but to sneak a pet into their apartment and try to hide it. When I was looking for a new place to live last month, I ASKED at every single apartment I looked at, if pets were allowed and if so, what kinds. Most places were okay with little caged animals. If a place said "no" to the types of pets that I had, I immediately crossed it off my list, even if I liked it a lot in all other respects. I didn't think about ways that I could sneak my pets into the place. It's not fair to the landlord, who actually owns the property. They're allowed to make the rules, and shouldn't have to worry about people going behind their backs and breaking rules. Landlords have reasons for not allowing pets, even if the tenants don't agree with the rules. If you don't like the rules, DON'T LIVE THERE. If the landlord changes the rules of your lease during your lease and you don't like the new rules, don't renew your lease! Move somewhere else where you DO agree with the rules.

And yeah, sometimes people with pets have to make concessions when renting a property. For example, around here it's hard to find a really nice apartment complex that will allow dogs of any type. If I owned a dog, I would just have to accept that, as long as I am renting, I would probably not live in a top-end apartment or townhouse. I don't see what the big deal is in waiting a couple of extra years to get that pet that you REALLY want, if your current living situation isn't really conducive to having that pet. Too many people get caught up in the thought that they just have to get that animal NOW, instead of just waiting for a better time. I really want a Pug, but I shouldn't get one right now because of my living situation and I'm okay with that. I know that Pugs aren't going to go extinct before I am able to own one. :p

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Well, I wasn't using it to say chins are dangerous. Just an example of lying to keep a pet and the repercussions.

I don't know if that would apply here. Chinchillas, with the exception of the robot Las Vegas chins, aren't dangerous. But, if she were to lie about it repeatedly after getting caught, I suppose it could get her evicted. It depends on how angry to management people get.

It could be very possible that if it were brought to the attention of the apartment management, that they would allow her to keep the chin because it is a very quiet, non smelly, not too destructive animal.

I've taken in dozens of chins because they were not allowed in apartments over the years. A few apartment complexes really stick to their guns and make their tenants get rid of chins, some don't. A lot of times I think they don't understand about chinchillas at all. Either they think the chin is like a mouse and will get in the walls or that it's something that could spread disease or even they think that the chin will cause serious damage to the apartment. Like I said before...someone else owns the place, it's their rules and the rules of the apartment managers. I end up with lots of rescues because people don't think ahead or think that they can get away with something.

I know what you meant. :) And, I agree about repercussions of not telling people exactly what's going on. Maybe things would be allowed to slide a bit more because it's a fuzzy, plump chin not a pit bull. I want this girl to be able to keep her chin and not lose her apartment. It's never a good idea to lie about things, it's always much better to be upfront and honest. Repeatedly lying about the pets being on a property is a bad idea no matter what pet it is.

I know that a lot of people lie about having the pits because they may not be able to keep them otherwise because of insurance issues.

Last edited:
Stop bringing the two threads together in one. The OP is not the one who brought the other thread into this discussion. As far as her original question, that has been asked as a topic of debate several times over the years. Whether it originated because of a separate post has nothing to do with this one.

Keep this thread on topic, i.e., address the original question. Stop discussing individual situations that have no bearing on this thread.

I don't think it's a good idea to tell someone that just because a certain animal isn't noisy or smelly, if you just hide it well it will be okay (not that anyone did say that specifically - just saying in case that's what's inferred). It's still a violation that puts the animal as well as the owner at risk.

In my case, my previous apartment had a no dogs/no cats rule, caged animals allowed. Until we had a roach infestation and the whole building had to be treated repeatedly. My complex changed their rule to definitively disallow all animals, gave everyone one month's notice to rehome their animals, then began the treatments. I was on the third floor and never saw a single roach, but I did have to empty out all my closets and cabinets and leave the building for the day on three separate occasions while Terminex sprayed.

I wouldn't risk it, knowing that they're not allowed - it's just not fair to the animals. Our lease says no pets without written permission, and we have an addendum that is specific to our two chins and ham (they actually had us send pics and biographies). However, the addendum also states that they can make us get rid of the pets at any time (I imagine as a legal backup for problem pets). While I am a little nervous about that, our management company has been really good to us and I can't imagine they'd act on that clause without good reason. At the very worst, our little ones would go live with either my or Scott's parents until we could find a new place.

What's amusing is that at one point, we were considering a 3rd chin, so we called to ask if that would be okay, and the woman Scott talked to said something to the extent of "we only usually allow cats, so while it's fine that you have the two written into your lease, we'd rather you didn't get any more"... somehow I think she may have heard "chihuahua" rather than "chinchilla"... :wacko:

I lived in an apartment that had a limit on four-legged animals (up to two per apartment). I never would have broken that because to me it's disrespectful. I knew what the lease entailed BEFORE I moved in, and it is a rare case (like the one mentioned earlier) that a landlord will suddenly change his/her mind and no longer allow pets. To me, if you want to keep a pet, you need to be prepared to pay for an apartment where it is allowed. Don't rent a cheap apartment then break the rules... common sense!!

I work in a shelter and I can't tell you how many people bring in their animals each week because the landlord found out. They were either not allowed to have the animals in the first place or needed to pay a monthly pet rent that they couldn't afford. It's just not fair to the animals or the shelters/rescues that then become overwhelmed with the increased numbers.

We have a rental house and the lease says "no pets" this lady has been there 2 years before we found out she has 2 dogs. She said that she rescued them from a pound and she's been keeping up the house. It has been 3 years now and the dogs are still there. We figure that she's been a good renter let her keep the dogs.

I wouldn't recommend bringing an animal if it says "no pets". I know some apartments make you leave a deposit for animals.

My current apartment has a one-time non-refundable deposit of $100 AND monthly pet fee of $25 per animal - but only cats and dogs. They don't care about caged animals, and they do know about my chinchillas and rats. I pay an extra $75 monthly for my three cats, each of which has their own addendum on my lease. It's worth it, but also a part of why I'm now buying a house.

I've never heard of a landlord being allowed to change the rules during the tenure of the lease so if they did that I'd just tell them to hit the road dude, keep my animals until the lease was over and then look for a different place to live.

Would I sneak in a chinchilla or two? I probably would be inclined to do so b/c most basic rental agreements are geared towards cats and dogs and don't even mention chinchillas or small caged animals for that matter and my personal experience has been that if you pay your rent on time, don't piss off the neighbours and keep your place clean the landlord will love you. Now there's a difference in having a couple of caged animals as pets and having a whole house full of rodents that you're breeding and selling imo. Maybe that was more the issue?

Now if the rental agreements specifically said absolutely no pets at all and they go on to list specifics then I guess I'd have to respect that and forget about bringing any in and if I wanted one that bad then I'd look for another place to live where the rules were more to my liking.

O'kay I have to sound in. I rent my landlord knows about the animals, in fact 2 of them are his. He is adement that I not get anymore. I have rented from others and have had different expierences. I would never "sneak" in an animal its just looking for heartbreak, for the renter and the animal. Most of my Ferrets come from no animal leases others cant keep them so I save them from the pound or worse. They get them love them train them and the landlord finds out and instead of leaving apartment they "get rid of the animal". my landlord just happens to be a good friend so I am o'kay, will I bring in anymore animals NO he still has the right to evict me, since the animals I have are on the lease. I have seen alot of animals lose out because of rental agreements and I have to side with the animal if you know they're is a no animal clause then you have to abide by it.

First, I wouldn't get a place that didn't allow pets.

Secondly, i'd let them evict me before I got rid of my pet. Or I know my parents would let me put my pet there until I got out of my lease and moved.

Back