Are these treats safe for my chinchilla?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a bag of treats for my chinchillas and was wondering if everything that is in it is safe for them. I bought it from petco and the brand name is Brown's, the product's name on Petco is, "Brown's Tropical Carnival Fruit & Nut Small Animal Treats", the package also says, " Irresistible Treat for Rabbits, Guinea pigs, Chinchillas, Hamsters, Gerbils, Mice, and Rats!"
The ingredients are:
Raisins,Dried Pineapple, Dried Papaya, Dried Banana, Peanuts, Pumpkin Seeds, Corn, Dried Apricot, Dried Mango, Dried Carrot, Almonds, Dried Apple, Dried Coconut, Dried Sweet Potato, Dried Kiwi, Dried Strawberry, and Sulfur Dioxide

I was alarmed by the last ingredient which is Sulfur Dioxide but when i searched it up a website said it was used as a preservative for dried apricots and other fruits.

Also I know that treats should not be given on the daily and should only be given in small amounts.
Thanks in advance :)

Rather than give it to the chin, I would eat it myself. Too much sugar and fat for a chins digestive system.

Seeing as chins should not have fruit, vegetables, nuts, or seeds, I would say no nothing in that mix is safe for chins. Fruits and veggies are too high in sugar as already said, a very tiny piece about once a month might not hurt much but that's about it, chins can't properly digest sugar and they already have sugar in their pellet food. The high sugar can lead to a whole bunch of health issues, including tooth rot, diabetes, blood sugar spikes that can lead to seizures and death, and liver and kidney failure to name a few. Nuts and seeds are too high in fat which once again chins can't properly digest which will cause fatty liver disease. Also corn is potentially dangerous, not only can it cause bloat, which can kill you chin, it is also prone to a type of mold that is deadly to chins, so basically the whole mix, even if it was safe before, becomes unsafe by the added corn.

A better idea for treats would be, things like rose hips and rose petals which can easily be found at health food stores. For an idea of other natural treats check out the list of treats on Fuzzies Kingdom. Some other safe treats include a plain cheerio, a tiny pinch of slow cook oats, or a piece of shredded wheat. Switching up the hay offered as well as offering a variety of chin safe wood stick types can also be kind of looked at as "treats" as well but ones you don't have to limit. My guys always get timothy, but I always change up the second kind of hay they get, so sometimes it's oat, meadow, orchard, etc. You can also get several types and make your own hay mix similar to the one on the Fuzzies Kingdom site, which is commonly sold out because chins love it so much.

A better idea for treats would be, things like rose hips and rose petals which can easily be found at health food stores. For an idea of other natural treats check out the list of treats on Fuzzies Kingdom. Some other safe treats include a plain cheerio, a tiny pinch of slow cook oats, or a piece of shredded wheat.

Thank you, I'll be sure to check out the website and I'll also won't give my chinchilla the treats. Thanks again:)

Back