the great cat food debate

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best one is a combination of ingredients, the right balance of fat and protein, and what hedgie chooses to eat.

"Fromm Mature Gold" is a nice one. As is "NOW! Senior" - grain free.
There was a really nice one I had not too long ago, but the quillkids rejected it: "Viva la Vension." Much like the "Natural Balance Green Pea & Duck," it has limited ingredients so, if there's an allergy involved, it's less likely to trigger the reaction. Both of those also come in different flavors like chicken or salmon. Unfortunately, my quillkids will not eat kibble if it is shaped like a puck. Natural Balance is a perfect little puck. Sigh!

Fromm's other versions are great. The kiddos like the Duck a la Veg and other flavors. But my chubby kiddo goes overboard, so she just gets the mature gold variety along with the NOW.

Another thing you might try is to weigh out how many grams Charlie is getting each night, then reduce it by one gram over the course of a week, see what's going on with her weight & shape, then make a decision about reducing it by another gram of the course of the next week... check... decide... etc... I've done that with Marlee. She cleans her dish each night, so I put a few kibbles in each morning (about a gram) so she can have a light snack when she dares venture out during the day.

With Satin (my first plump girl), I used to have three different dishes and I'd spread her kibble around - a bit in each so that I knew she had to do at least a little work to get it all.

Back