Valentine's Day Massacre

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just want to be clear that I did not know what I was doing. This is the first time I had to assist with this much involvement in a birth. I thought the kit was just positioned incorrectly across the opening, not rotting dead and still in fetal position. Had I known, I would have/should have taken her to my vet for a Cesarean. I was lucky that she was able to pass it in tact, and lucky that she is recovering and still able to care for her living kit.

I had something similar happen with a first time mom a couple of weeks ago. She had been in labor all day I think. I always check in the morning and must have missed her. By evening when I went to feed I knew something was wrong. Only the head was out and it reeked. I knew it was dead. I was able to help her get the kit out, but I could feel another one in her and her contractions stopped. I kept hoping she would go back into labor, but she didn't. She was acting fine and eating so I got into the vet and they gave her oxytocin and she passed the kit on her own (also dead of course). They said she had a horrible infection and gave me baytril, but I have had really bad luck with baytril being too hard on the chins' systems so I gave her bactrim .5 twice a day for 10 days and she's fine now. What is TMS?

Back