Bloody urine please help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I

IvoryCrayon

I'm worried about my Hedgie She is a female about a 1.5 to 2 years old.
yesterday she went potty and there was blood in her urine.
It was really red and looked like she peed more then normal. she usually pees in a plastic box when she's in her play pen and normaly it's just a little puddle this time the whole bottom of the box was wet and it was coming up her feet a little bit it was so deep.
She's been eating normally she drank a little more the night after that. she is active, run's all over her pen and cage and doesn't act or seem like she's hurting. I felt her tummy and it feels fine too.
This morning I went to check her and she peed on the paper towel and again it had blood.
I'v called the vet and they said that she probably has a UTI and said to go to the Co-op and get her some Sulfa trim Pediatric Suspension. well the co-op didn't have any. but they were nice enough to call around to try and find some and wal-mart pharmacy has it but I need a Rx. so I called the vet and they were closed and wont be back til monday. so I tried another vet that I've talked to about hedgies before. and they said they couldnt write a Rx without seeing the animal themselves and that they didn't see hedgehogs and to call this other vet. well that vet was closed too and wont be open till monday. the emergency vet don't see exotics either. :banghead:

So my question is: is this sulfa trim pediatric suspension the best thing for a UTI? or is there something else that would be better?
And I know they can't be 100% sure that it a UTI with out pulling the urine directly from the bladder but he thinks thats what it is so I figured we could try the antibiotics and if that doesnt help then I'll make them pull the urine to get a definite diagnosis. and I know that if it's not a UTI she will most likely need to be spayed.
So what's the best antibiotic for UTI and what's the normal dosage for them?
And is there anything I can get or do until the vet opens monday?

I didnt know who else to ask and all of you seem very knowledgeable.
And I also have a picture of the first bloody urine after I poured it on to a paper towel if you need to see it.
thank you
IC :hair:

Without doing a sterile needle draw of her urine directly from her bladder you have no idea if the blood is urinary or uterine. Trying antibiotics first means that if the blood is uterine, the tumour or whatever will continue to grow. Also, continued blood loss will cause her to be anemic and makes surgery more risky.

I personally would get the needle draw done asap and go from there. Our girls are prone to uterine tumours.

I agree with Nancy, bloody urine is very serious, I would want to know what I was treating so you don't let whatever it is get worse. There should be a e vet open that can help you are at least refer you somewhere else. Good luck!

Yeah I know,
But if it is a UTI is the sulfatrim the best thing or should I make him give her something different?

Also if it is Uterine what meds should they put her on then? I know she would have to be spayed but they would give her pain meds to right?
I don't trust any vet's or doctors 100% and I want to make sure he is doing what he is supposed to be doing.

Either way I can't get anything done until monday :cry3:
They told me to watch her closley over the weekend and bring her in monday if she was still doing it.
I'll probably take her in either way and try to find a new vet.

but I'd still like to know if the medications would be right for her and safe for her.

I told him over the phone what needed to be done. (about pulling the blood from the bladder and check it) He's not a hedgie vet (he does see other small animals though) but I havent been able to find one nearby. I emailed 1 when I first got her and they told me they seen them and gave me prices on visits and when I called them they said they didn't see hedgies :wacko:

I'm just really worried about her and I want to make sure they are trying to do everything right. (which I know there not) but I want to make sure their not giving her any meds that are not safe for her.

I agree with Nancy, bloody urine is very serious, I would want to know what I was treating so you don't let whatever it is get worse. There should be a e vet open that can help you are at least refer you somewhere else. Good luck!

Sorry I missed your post before.
I too would like to know what is wrong with her. because I don't want her to get worse. and I don't want her to start hurting.

Unfortunately we can't find any vet's that are open that will see a hedgehog and we got 1 referral (as stated before) but they were also closed for the weekend.

I was trying to get her the medications to try to help her over the weekend till the vet opens on monday then I'll try to get her in.

So back to my question If anyone will answer it.
Is this the right medication for her if it is a UTI or is there something else thats better for her?
Also If it turns out to be Uterine what medications should she be put on?
And does she need a probiotic?

If it's uterine, she needs to be spayed. There are no medications and uterine bleeding is most often a tumour or a uterine infection which is often the precursor of a uterine tumour.

I'm not sure if that is the right med for a UTI or not. We've used clavamox.

I know she would need to be spayed.
What I meant was what kind of pain medication after the surgery.

I'll ask about the clavamox when I talk to him tomorrow.
How much is a normal dosage of the clavamox? I want to make sure she doesn't get overdosed on it. if he has it and decides thats what she needs.

thank you nancy

Ok we just got back from the vet and he said she had a UTI and put her on clavamox .3ml twice a day.
does that sound like the right dosage for her?
The vet has been calling around for info and said thats what he found to be the best.
I just want to make sure.

Back