large bite wound

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schweppes

Can chinchillas get a dust bath with a large wound?

I want to take her to the vet, but there's no money and after calling 21 vets yesterday, no one would work with me. her estranged cagemate bit her pretty good. the wound is like her chest skin peeled off and is resting over her paw. it's clotted so I'm hoping Blu kote might be enough. I've tried applying for loans and credit cards and extending my current one and everything was denied. I've been trying to fix my credit after an abuse ex destroyed it, but apparently that takes time.

any help at all can be appreciated.

I would not bath a chin with an open wound, it would likely get infected. You also want to make sure you keep the cage extra clean so nothing gets in the wound. It sounds like it needs to be properly cleaned, and the chin likely needs pain meds and antibiotics though. Just putting antiseptic on it, depending on how bad it is, it's likely not going to be enough. If she is in pain she could go into shock and die, or stop eating.

Have you thought of selling some of your stuff online (craigslist, FB markets, ebay, etc) to get money for vet care? Or see if you can borrow any money from family or friends or co worker? See if you can get a pay advance from work or something? Also look into low income financial aid for pets? I know most are for cats and dogs only but I'm sure there are some out there that help other pets too. See if the shelters in your area might have suggestions for low cost clinics or programs. You can also try a go fund me or similar page to see if you can get the money.

If you can't afford a vet and it's really bad you might want to consider surrendering the chin to an animal shelter. That way the chin gets the help she needs. I know it's sucks but letting her suffer without vet care is cruel, and illegal.

Reached out to a rescue. I'm shaking, I'm nauseous, pretty sure I'm going to puke, I'm crying uncontrollably. I don't want to say goodbye to them, but I can't take care of them. I have nothing to sell, no one to help, only get paid so little once a month.

I'm sorry it had to come to that :(. I know this past year was bad financially for me too. It kept me up with worry, since I would have been in a similar situation if anything had happened to any of my pets. I went without, so my pets never had to go without eating, but even then there was only enough to keep them fed and nothing more in case something happened.

Back