Success Rate of Pairing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did you chin bond w/ a buddy?

• Yes - they bonded and still live happily together

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Yes - they bonded, but needed separation later in life

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • No - the chins could not bond and live separately

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

Minccino

Chin-sational
I'm just curious how many chins successfully bonded and are happy cage mates.

I can see myself getting a second chin one day if the opportunity pops up (if one is in need of a home). If I did bring a second chin into my home, I would love if he could be buddies with Eli and live in the same cage. I do understand that it takes several months to get to that point, and that they may end up needing separation down the road...

If you're a multi-chin owner that has attempted to bond their chins, please vote on the poll!

My chinchillas were a bonded brother and sister pair, but after Viper got neutered and he to be separated into a single level cage until he healed to prevent injuries and prevent impregnating his sister. After that they wanted NOTHING to do with each other and we had to do a re-bonding. We used the cage swap method, which is where we swapped their cages every couple of days to get them used to the smell of each other. It took over a month before they would rebond and we were afraid they may not ever like each other again. However one day we let them out to play with a little gate separating them and there was no aggression. They have now been bonded for 4 full years.

I have two bonded pairs of males, and a trio of bonded males. Pepper and Jason are devoted to each other. Chilli Salt and Tigger love to sleep in an untidy heap, have mild bickering sessions on rare occasions, but never any sign of anything worse. Mark and Merlin are brothers and only four months old; they also love cuddling together in the nest box, and mutual grooming sessions. I've always made sure that there is more than one food bowl and hay rack, and each chin has their own sand bath. I also have two spare cages on standby in case of fall outs. All my cages are massive three level ones about six feet high, giving plenty of room for each chin to have personal space. A plentiful selection of toys helps as well. :)
Hope this is of some interest.

I have 3 boys, Zoidberg, Rufus, and Dale. We started out with just Rufus, then we added Zoidberg and Leela (she was in a separate cage and sadly passed away a few years ago). We didn't know anything about bonding, and Zoid is Rufus's dad, so we just put them together the day they came home. Luckily for us they took to each other right away and were snuggling together the first night. They were together in their cage for 3 years, through moves and the loss of Leela, and were still fine together. We ended up rescuing Dale about a year after Leela passed, and he was on his own in a separate cage. About 3 months after getting Dale, Rufus and Zoid started to get a bit aggressive with each other. They woke us up one night with their fighting, so we separated them. We put Zoid in with Dale and left Rufus by himself, we thought he was the aggressor. We let them cool off for a day and then tried to do playtime together. We had all three out for playtime together like we had done a bunch in the past. They all ended up in Dale's cage with Zoid and Rufus fighting. We pulled Zoid out and put him in the other cage and Rufus and Dale stayed together. They've been like that ever since, about 2 years now. Rufus and Dale are in love with each other and I doubt will even need to be separated. Zoid is fairly happy being on his own and has bonded with my fiance and I even stronger.

You really can't go by how well other chins did. Each chin is different and has its own personality. Your c.f.chin may like a buddy or it might not

If you take the time to get them adjusted they will be fine. I found my males bounded together better than my male female pairs. My Females pairs were the quickest to bound.

I think if you can bound 2 males that are mature adults you should not have problems for the rest of the life. UNLESS you bring a female near them. I could see 2 young males hitting maturity together could be rough.

Back