Chinchilla Basics 101

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LYChinchillas

www.LYChinchillas.com
Since I've started on social media with my chins, I have realized how many people have no idea what a chinchilla is, let alone any basic facts about them! I decided to create a simple post on my blog about the basics, for people to read and share with those that have the most basic chin questions.

What do you think? Does it cover all the bases? http://lychinchillas.com/2015/01/14/chinchilla-basics-101/

I like this, and yes, I feel it covers all the basic questions any new chinchilla owner should be asking. I like the references to the facts that they are classed as exotic pets, have a long life span and can be costly. I only knew the basics when I aquired my first two boys and was thankful for any advice I could obtain. In terms of cost, I basically go to work simply to keep my nine boys in the custom to which they are used (spoiled little buggers) :wink3:. My social life if virtually non existent also, but I don't care, I love my lads dearly :heart::chin5:

I'm really glad you posted that on your blog. I am a new chin owner and while I was waiting on my chins to be weaned I did a lot of research. I Loved watching your posts on YouTube! Hopefully more chin owners will take the time to learn. You are at least making it easier by putting the correct info out there. Thanks!

Nine boys! Such lucky kiddos to have such a dedicated chin-parent! If only all babies could be so fortunate. I'm similar; social life is minimal.. but who needs it when the kids are at home! :-D

It's a good basic run down, however I would put the house in the need category, not something to get later, especially for a new chin they need somewhere to hide. Also the suggestion of daily dust is a bit misleading, it really depends on where you live. I see you live in NY so you are going to be dealing with a lot of humidity, in which case a daily bath may be fine, but for someone living in a dry climate daily baths can cause an issue where there wasn't one before.

Over all though, good job. The links to additional info (diet, safe wood, etc) are great and really help keep it simple to read without ignoring important info or getting side tracked explaining in the post. :thumbsup:

Thanks Amethyst! Changes made on both points, thanks for the reminder about the dusting. I make so many posts that I often forget to re-re-reiterate about the potential differences in everyone's situations. So thanks for catching that. And yes, a little hut or house for newcomers is a good idea. :) Thanks for taking the time to read!

"Chin teeth are constantly growing, and need to be filed down to stay healthy"

A chin who has a healthy mouth will wear its own teeth down, its only when there is a issue a chin needs to be filed by a vet. Change the word filed to worn down IMO, filed implies all chins will need dental intervention.

"Chin teeth are constantly growing, and need to be filed down with wood chews to stay healthy" - changed!

I keep all the basics on my site. But you can lead a horse to water but can't make them drink

I always enjoy your articles. :) You have a nice, simple layout. It makes it easy to follow and I think that's good to keep people reading. :clap1:

Thanks guys! Very happy to hear such great feedback. Thank you for reading, Minccino ^_^

Yeah, that's so true Kristy.. such a shame! I figured it would be better to have a single post to direct new owners. Many of them are lazy to study up, even if it's all in one place, unfortunately!

"Chin teeth are constantly growing, and need to be filed down with wood chews to stay healthy" - changed!

I am not trying to be difficult,:rofl: but chin teeth are ground down by food, hay and chews, hay and food grind down the molar teeth and chews the incisors. Filing is not what they do, its what a vet does.

Lol, I think the word filed and ground down can be considered synonyms, it's all verbiage and semantics at that point. I'm sure if someone were to go to their exotic vet they would be informed of the correct procedure for their chinnie.

Back