what happened

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

francine

my little baby hedgehog has a bloody mark on the side of her head its scabbed over we think its mites since i took her to my friends house to see how she reacts to cats (which she did perfectly nobody got hurt) and appearntly one of his cats ahs mites but the thing is we didnt see any little white spots other than dandruff we did give her some anti bacterial medicine to see if that would help. the day that i noticed it tho she was near impossible to get up she was in a ball huffing and puffing as if her life depended on it and she did like a clicking noise which ive never heard, she has been scratching and i will post a picture later today. please help me out if you might know what this is. we are taking her to a vet soon.

I would get her to the vet sooner then later, you don't want it to get out of hand and have your little hedgie uncomfortable.

I think perhaps the cat scratched it. You should not put cats and hedgies together. They are preditor and prey animals. I'm sure the hog was scared. Cat scratches carry nasty bacteria, you need to get her to the vet and stop showing her preditor animals.

It wasnt a sracth if anythinthe cat gohurt i didnt let her out of my site

my little baby hedgehog has a bloody mark on the side of her head its scabbed over we think its mites since i took her to my friends house to see how she reacts to cats (which she did perfectly nobody got hurt)

I'm glad that a fight didn't break out. But probably not the best of ideas... though I suspect you know that all too well right now. If you have a little baby, you'll want to protect her, rather than expose her to new and potentially dangerous situations. Bringing different animals from different houses together can be a cause for problems. Even it was two hedgie girls instead of one hedgie and one cat, there could be problems.

and appearntly one of his cats ahs mites but the thing is we didnt see any little white spots other than dandruff we did give her some anti bacterial medicine to see if that would help.
I don't know much (ie, anything) about transmission of mites between species. Are you saying the cat has and that's how you figured out the cat has mites - or has the cat been to a vet?

What medicine did you give to your hedgehog and in what form?

the day that i noticed it tho she was near impossible to get up she was in a ball huffing and puffing as if her life depended on it and she did like a clicking noise which ive never heard, she has been scratching and i will post a picture later today. please help me out if you might know what this is. we are taking her to a vet soon.
I absolutely agree on taking her to the vet to learn what is going on. If she's reached the point of clicking, that's a sign to me that something has gone really wrong for her. What that thing that's gone wrong though (eg, scared, injured, sick, cold...) is going to be hard if not impossible to figure out over the internet. There could be a few things causing a bloody mark on the side of a hedgie's head... and none of them are good things.

Sounds like a vet appointment sooner than later is key here. When's her appointment?

Francine, where are you located? Maybe we can help you find a vet. You really should find a veterinarian that will treat your hedgehog. Even if you find one that doesn't have a lot of experience but is willing to learn.

From the sounds of it this one should be taken in to see what is going on. Serious personality changes are very concerning. Hedgehogs hide illness and often one of the first symptoms we will see is a sudden personality change (weight loss is another key symptom).

If your hedgehog has mites, you need to get the little one in sooner than later to have a skin scraping and get revolution for treatment (no ivermectin). Mites make them extremely uncomfortable and mites can do a lot of damage if left untreated for too long. I had one once whose mite infestation became a huge problem fast.

How is she acting today? How is she eating? How is her weight? You said you gave her a medicine, what did you medicate her with? Some medicines can be dangerous to give.

Its mediecine i gto from the breeder we found aa vet but she doesnt have much experience with bedgehogs so if she doesnt work out well make a trip to columbus and we live in cleveland

Great. Francy was really mad at us when we got him but the scabs are clearig up real fast

Back