wont eat

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikyb

Hello,
We rescued our hedggie Steve about 2 months ago, and have had issues with him not eating well since the start. We weren't given much previous information on him aside from that he was 4 months old (I think he was older), he liked Purina (no specific type), and he was neglected.
SO we stopped eating all together and his poo was a sticky green. We took him to the vet on Tuesday and found out that he is salmonella. He is on an antibacterial medication right, but he refuses to eat! My boyfriend has counted his food and he hasn't eaten any in literally days. We have Purnia One, Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul, Royal Canin, Meow Mix, and a hedgehog specific food that is Vita something brand out for him. He hasn't eaten a piece. He will throw them around, but won't eat.
My boyfriend is home with him now (I'm house/dog sitting so I'm not there right now) and tried force feeding him and he only got upset. He is now kind of wobbly. Our apartment is approximately 80 degrees F (we have sugar gliders too that need to stay warm as well, so we keep it warm all year round!). We are at a total loss. The vet just told us to keep his options open, but he just wont eat!
We've tried just about everything. Meal worms he loves but even today he wont eat them. We tried honey and agave nectar--nothing. The only way he will drink water is to put him in the bath...then he drinks up a storm. I don't know what else to do!
PLEASE HELP!

You must keep syringe feeding him. Use Hills A/D (canned food available from a vet) or if you cannot get that right away soak the Chicken Soup food until it is mush, add some chicken baby food (unseasoned) and syringe that. If you syringe more frequently he may come around. If you can, after pushing some food into his mouth from the syringe, gently rub his throat (it forces a swallow reaction). It is essential that he eats, even if he is frustrated. Unfortunately once they stop eating they are susceptible to liver disease which makes them very un-hungry. The only way to fight it, is to force the eating (often, four to six times a day) until they regain their appetite again. Another vet visit is also critical. You must keep trying, even though he hates it....

Thank you so much for your reply! I talked to the vet right after I posted it. They were confused by him as well. They just said to keep an eye on him and make sure he drinks a lot. They are saying we might need to get xrays on Monday :S
I will definately try to get him to eat again! Thanks again!

What antibiotic is he on? It may be that the antibiotic is not strong enough for the salmonella.

Antibiotics often make them feel yucky so they don't want to eat. It is important to try every couple of hours round the clock to get him to eat. Royal Canin Baby Cat is well loved by hedgies and is very small pieces, perfect for little hedgie mouths. Count everything you give him. You can try putting some kibble in bed with him. Often they will eat in bed even if they don't get up to eat.

You can also try goats milk or puppy or kitten. Petsmart sells it. Powdered is best as the liquid once opened only lasts a day or two before going bad. Mix up the powdered fresh for each feed. You can try syringing him some, plus leave a small dish of it in his cage. The vets usually have single serving puppy formula. It is powder and comes in a bottle. For puppies you fill the bottle with water and shake. For a hedgehog you can mix a small amount up at a time. Usually the formula is 1 part powder to 2 parts water.
Most hedgehogs love puppy or goats milk and it might entice him to drink it.

Good luck. :)

thank you for your help....he passed away in my arms this afternoon. he got really bad yesterday so we rushed him to the vet. they gave us another antibiotic and a special medicated wet food. We were suppose to give him 10ml three times daily and syringe him water often. Both stressed him out to the max. He couldn't handle it any longer. I know he's not suffering anymore, but it's just too hard.:tantrum:

Oh I'm sorry to hear about your loss. That's really hard but like you said, at least he is not suffering anymore.

I am so sorry he didn't make it. I had a little guy pass from salmonella a few years ago. Salmonella has to be treated aggressively and quickly and unfortunately for my little guy, it wasn't diagnosed fast enough. They go downhill very fast.

Hugs

Back