Bleeding, Diarrhea, and an inexperienced vet

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnchatte

Hi there,

I am hoping someone might be able to provide me with some guidance in regards to my hedgie, Hogitha. I purchased her from Craigslist in September (a friend also purchased one). Last Friday I noticed she wasn't running on her wheel and on Saturday she had not touched her dry food or water for over a day. When I picked her up she had noticeably lost weight and had blood (vaginal as witnessed) and diarrhea caked to her rear. I took her into the vet for an emergency visit (after calling two other vets who admitted they didn't have any experience with hedgehogs) and the vet said that she would need to do x-rays to see if there was more wrong (I had already paid $150 at this point and just couldn't afford the x-rays). The vet thought possibly a salmonella infection and prescribed .15mL of Baytril for up to 7 days and also provided me with some dry mix for food. I was feeding Hogitha 4x daily by syringe and have now decreased to 2x day as for the last two days she has left her igloo and gotten on her wheel, but she is still not eating or drinking up to par. How long might this salmonella sickness last? I'm noticing some other things about her now that are additionally concerning, but I wonder if I'm becoming a hypochondriac! I feel like her skin is excessively dry and quills, while not falling out, appear very loose. Her rear also looks red and hind legs by her excess skin seem to have more fluid--or maybe I'm just noticing this for the first time...

Whew... that was long. I apologize. I just don't know where to go... I'm frustrated that I already spent quite a bit and feel like I still don't have a good answer... so, as I initially asked, does anyone have any guidance for me?

Thank you for any help or ideas!!!

The only think I can think of is to try another vet.. If you dont mind posting your location, Im sure someone here can help find one near by. A lot of vets also are able to work with their patients by setting up a payment plan. So if you are hard up for cash I would definitely talk to a vet about that two.

I wish I had more words of wisdom for you. Hugs to you and Hogitha.

Thanks, Melissa! I live in Cedar Rapids, Iowa and while there are some vets that will accept hedgies, they don't have much experience. If anyone knows of a vet in the Eastern Iowa area that has the experience and knowledge I would be much obliged!!

Thanks again for any help!

Seven days seems awfully short for an antibiotic round. Typically I'm given 10-14 days depending on what we are dealing with.

It sounds like you are seeing improvement if she is getting up and about. Dry skin could be a dietary problem, humidity issue, or a variety of things. I'm not certain what you mean by loose quills. If they are not falling out then I'm not certain what loose means.

If you do not think she is improving or hasn't gotten 100% better before the end of the baytril run, I'd go back to the vet, or at least call the vet and give him/her an update.

How is she doing today? Water intake is critical. Many of those symptoms may also be an indication that she is dehydrated. Keep an eye on how much water she is taking in. Does she have a water bowl? Bottles are problematic especially when they are sick and don't have the energy to reach up for a drink. If she isn't improving by now, she may need a different round of antibiotics.

Thanks for the ideas. I have been trying to give her water but she is not taking it by syringe like she was earlier in the week (not fighting, but not swallowing it). She is lethargic, wobbly, has cloudy eyes and is letting me "pet" her (completely uncharacteristic), she is also sleeping in weird places--like on her wheel. Things have gotten worse quickly and I'm afraid that the stress of driving an hour to the vet is going to kill her. So frustrating and heart breaking. I will try a water dish instead of the bottle, but I don't know if she even has the energy to get up =( I wish I had gone to vet school instead of social work!

:nolove::hedgie:

I hope things go well at the vet - if she isn't swallowing try gently rubbing her throat after syringing - it sometimes makes them swallow. Otherwise force feed more frequently but in smaller amounts. Pedialyte is also very good to get their hydration up. Good luck, we are keeping our quills crossed here.

Back