Bloody paws

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ayriechan

Hi there

Little tony hurt his front paw last night, i'm not sure how he did it, i'm still checkng the cage for sharp edges.
It's not bleeding out non stop, but every time he gets on the wheel, it starts bleedng again. I ended up removing the wheel, thought it would be better until it healed. Anyone ever got a hurt hedgie?

I'm scared it might get infected, since the wound keeps re-opening now and again. Any quick solutions so it WONT get infected? Is it ok for him to not have a wheel for a couple of nights, just until it gets better? I don't think its a really serious wound, but it could get bad if t gets infected or if it doesn't heal (its been at least 24 hours and its been bleeding still)

thanks,

XOXO

Ayrie

Aero had this problem a lot until I changed his wheel. What kind of wheel is he on? Keep his wheel out and lay down paper towels down. This way you can keep track of his booboos and do a quick clean up every day.

He's using a large, plastic wheel, has a couple of low soft bumps, so he wont slip. Im posting a picture as soon as i get home. What acares me is that he seem oblivious of his wounds. Keeps exercising as if there was no tomorrow

Yes, it's okay to take his wheel out for a few nights until his feet are fully healed.

To help control infection, make sure his feet are clean - give him a little foot bath and pat his feet dry. You can also put on a little regular strength neosporin or polysporin on them. There have been reports of problems when using the extra-strength or pain-relief versions, so recommendations are to stay away from using those versions.

I'll second Melissa's recommendation about keeping him on something where you can see what's going on - paper towels. I'll add white/light colored fleece is another option.

Tex had a similar problem while using the safest type wheel: a bucket wheel. Maybe Little Tony just needs to toughen his little feet up? Tex now has two little callouses (I'd previously heard that hedgies do not develop callouses on their feet) - one on each of the two areas that used to open up and bleed after running. Or, yes, maybe it is the type of wheel that's contributing to his problem.

Keep us posted on your little guy!

hey guys, its me again. Thanks for the advice.
I'm giving Tony a shower and making him polysporin slippers. I think the vet here in Brazil would cry and not know what to do if I brought him a hedgie with infected feet.

this is a bad picture, but it gives an idea of what type of wheel he's using

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Q91hS1h0axU/TXfjnUhb5MI/AAAAAAAAADg/zPsMwt2ct3w/s1600/IMG_0025.jpg

You can't really see it, but the surface where he runs has really smal bumps so it won't get slippery. Could it be that this is what is hurting him?

Should I get another wheel?

I think i'll need to import a bucket wheel or make my own if it is necessary... Let's just say I am the only person I know with a hedgie here...

I would definitely consider getting another wheel. You current wheel is not a good option. The slits for the urine to drain out as well as the slit along the the length of the wheel can trap hedgie toes. And as you have already seen the "slip grip" ridges will tear those baby feet up.

I would consider some form of a bucket wheel.

Wow. And it was so expensive here, I'd have thought it would not only be safe but also make me my morning coffee. Ok, thank you so much for the help, I am definitely making him a bucket wheel over the weekend. If that dont work, I'll just have to find out someone that ships international. O

Back