Severe Case of Mites? Or more?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Gulliverstravels

Hi, I'm new. I took my hedgie Gulliver to the vet yesterday because he is shaky, not eating/drinking significant amounts, and has stopped running and playing. (yes, I realize I'm a bad mommy for letting it go this long. :duh: )
The vet diagnosed him with mites, and sent us home with Revolution. After I bathed him and washed his cage, bowls, changed his blankie, etc I was able to get pedialyte into him and he seemed to be in a lot better mood. Now this morning he looks almost worse! He is still extremely sluggish, breathing shallow (was yesterday too) and he's not taking the syringe like he did last night. I am really worried its something worse than a bad case of mites. Can mites get bad enough to cause this behavior? Help! :please:

He is in a 73 degree cage, and I have heater for him during playtime on the floor (cooler down there) his belly isnt cool, its the same temp as the rest of him. feet are a little cooler though. And now he seems to be trying to get something out of his throat/mouth too and sneezing (however the sneezing may be from getting a little water in his nose from the syringe) since he wont swallow the pedialyte anymore :( im terrified im going to lose him. hes only 7 months old.

Gulliver passed away. The vet called and could offer no new information on what may have happened. :cry2:

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. RIP little Gulliver.

Back