Blood in urine - question....

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LucksAngel28

Ashley
I noticed yesterday morning that there was blood in Maserati's urine (none in the stool, though). I tried to get her into an emergency vet, but nobody would see a hedgehog. So, I talked to a friend of a friend yesterday who is a vet and he agreed to see her this morning. She hasn't had any dietary changes lately.... same high-quality kibble mix (though I did give her some eggs last night). I changed the bedding in her cage last night to all white so I could monitor what she did - she only made 1 poop and didn't pee, except for tiny blood spots (the size of the end of a sharpened pencil maybe) scattered around her cage. She was pretty active, too.... she dug in her box of Yesterday's News, ran on her wheel, pushed her ball, and ate her normal amount.

The vet admitted that he knew very little about hedgehogs but did research on the Veterinary Information Network (VIN). He's pretty much the only one who would see her, though - even the exotics vets kept referring me around. He said that he believes it is uterine, not a urinary tract infection, but isn't totally sure and wouldn't draw a sterile sample directly from her bladder. He gave her an antibiotic injection (I don't know what it was - he didn't say, and I didn't think to ask.... it is finals week so I'm stressed as it is plus with this going on I'm pretty much a train wreck) today but thinks it would be best if I bring her in Thursday to be spayed (they will do an x-ray first to make sure it isn't crystals).

Here's my question.... do you think I should go ahead with the spay? She's about 2 years, 2 months old. Help!

Usually i would say no to a spay, but the question is if you spay her would it stop the blood in her urine

If this was uterine blood I would question why she didn't pee much overnight. Because you are seeing no urine and tiny blood spots that makes me wonder if it's a uterine infection or a stone. I think I'd have them do some more testing first because the lack of urine is concerning. I'm not so sure that crystals would show up on xrays because Kenya's didn't nor did her kidney stone.

Thanks for your advice! I'm thinking I will cancel her spay that I had scheduled for Thursday and try to get her an appointment with another vet who will actually test her to see what the problem is before doing surgery. I don't want to have unnecessary surgery done on her, especially when the vet said they "have protocols" but don't know exactly how much anesthetic to give her.

How do you diagnose stones or crystals? And what would the treatment be for that? Is there anything I should do for her in the meantime? She has her antibiotic and seems to still have plenty of energy.

To check for crystals they would gas her and do a sterile urine draw. They would check for crystals as well as blood. I think they can tell if there is stones by the type of crystals they find. They can also check for blood and bacteria.

There is a urinary health diet that will help prevent crystals and another one that will help dissolve stones. The prevention one is fine to be on at any time but the one for the stones, they need to verify stones as it can only be used for a short period of time.

If you are really lucky, you might be able to see the crystals in her urine. Sometimes the fresh urine will sparkle.

You could put her on Hills C/D which changes the ph of the urine and will help prevent infection and crystals.

Okay! We have an appointment to see another vet tomorrow afternoon who is more experienced in exotics and I made sure to tell them I wanted a urine sample done before I even made the appointment. I will be sure to ask about Hills C/D when I'm there.... I'm pretty sure it's prescription, and you can only get that from a vet, right?

Keep poor Maserati in your thoughts & prayers tomorrow so she'll be diagnosed and get healthy fast!

Well, the vet gassed her and did a complete exam today and felt a mass, so they will do surgery on Friday morning. He said it is either on her uterus or in her bladder, so I'm REALLY hoping that it's uterine since it is a simpler and safer fix. I feel much more comfortable with this vet than the other one, and he really seemed to know what he's doing. So, keep sweet little Maserati in mind on Friday while she has her surgery!

Thank you! I just got off the phone with her vet, and he said she did really well with the surgery. It was uterine, so she just needed the spay and she will be fine. He checked out the rest of her organs and they all look good. I get to pick her up later today! I'm so relieved that my sweet girl will be okay! :bliss:

I was really impressed with this vet and posted a recommendation in the vets section for the Akron, Ohio area.

Back