Bert threw up and is "grinding" his teeth =(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kawaii_Hedgie_Chin_Love

I got a baby hedgheog a couple of days ago. he is about 8 weeks old.
he's been fine all day, then about 20 minutes ago he got up to eat. Everything was going normally, but then i started hearing "grinding" noises. I went over to see him and he is just continually griding his teeth. he threw up once, and i looked in his food dish and saw a bunch of throw up. I took him out but he won't stop. hes just sitting in one place doing this. He just threw up again... please help my little bert!!!

If he is truly vomiting that much you will want to find yourself an emergency veterinarian. Vomiting like that is far from being normal and as young as your hedgehog is he could very quickly become dehydrated.

I've never had a hedgehog grind their teeth and then vomit. Check his mouth to ensure that nothing is caught in his teeth, or in the upper part of his mouth. Perhaps the grinding noise is him trying to get whatever is stuck out and he is gagging because of it.

Good luck.

I agree with getting him to the vet. Just as a thought though, is there a piece of kibble caught in the roof of his mouth?

Little bert is okay! for now at least.
I think there may in fact, have been a piece of food stuck in the roof of his mouth, but the stubborn little guy wouldn't let me in to see. I tried to get some water into him to loosen it up many times throughout the day, but he wouldn't take it. luckily he only vomited once more, making a total of i beleive 5 times. after that I brought him shopping with me in a "disguised" pet carrier (don't ask =D) and if he was still making the grinding noise i was going take him to the vet when I was done. He had diarrhea pretty bad when we were out, then snuggled up in his blankie and fell asleep. When we got back to the car, i took him out and made him walk around a little bit, to see if he was still making the sound, and to make sure he wasn't dehydrated. everything was going good so i decided to just head home. He immediately fell back asleep and at around 6 he got up for about an hour to eat. I don't think he had anything to drink, but i could be wrong. I tried to get him to drink a few times, but he wouldn't take it still. Then he fell back asleep. I haven't heard the noise any more, and no more vomit. i'm not sure if he still has diarrhea, i guess i didn't think to check for that. =(
But before i fall asleep, i'm going to get him up around 11 or 12 to try to get him to drink again, if he won't this time, i'm taking him to the vet in the morning.

I think you should have gotten him to the vet anyway. Do you know id there's still something stuck? Going out shopping with him could have also added to the stress and made his diharea worst. I think now the best thing is to go to the vet to make sure his mouth is ok, they can go downhill pretty fast.

This little one really needs a check up to make sure nothing is in his mouth and that he is well hydrated. He is so tiny that what is a small problem to us is huge to his little body.

He hasn't been throwing up at all. He downed some water last night. He's not dehydrated. He's been eating fine and i checked his mouth, it seems to be all clear.
I don't think shopping stressed him out because he just falls asleep and seems completely relaxed. I think that it was better than leaving him at home anyway, so i could monitor him and make sure nothing else went wrong.
he's back to normal now anyway, if i see ANY signs at all of something wrong, i'll take him straight to the vet.

Back