Does your chin make this noise?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheeriosMum

Hi everyone,

I'm a new chin owner (2 weeks to be exact) and my chinchilla Cheerio is unlike any pet I've ever had. Recently he's been making a low chirping sound (listen to full link) and I was wondering if any of you had heard this sound before from your chins?

I read on a website that this could mean they're lonely, but I take him out at least once a day, usually twice! not to mention sitting by his cage, talking to him, giving him oats and hay. His been alone the majority of his life, so it's not like I took him away from another chinchilla when I purchased him.

If it is loneliness - Should I get him a stuffed cuddle buddy? Would that make him feel less alone?

If it's not - what are your suggestions to what he might be doing?

This is the sound hes making - listen to the entire link. It's the noise toward the end that sounds more deep and guttural that he keeps making :

https://infolific.com/sounds/chinchillas/u1_adpcm.mp3

Yep, most chins will make that noise at some point. My chins do that sometime as if they are talking It's not a bark (alarm) sound, just more conversational. I do tend to notice it more though with a cagemate than if they live alone. You can always try a cuddle buddy and see if he likes it.

Back