Angry Rescue Chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carispaniel

Hi! I just recently rescued two new chinchillas from someone who wasn't keeping up with their care. I'm really not sure the living situation of these chinchillas because they've bounced around temporary homes when I got them. All I know is that ther living situation was bad, there were 10 other chinchillas they lived with that found new homes also. The two I rescued are both extremely shy females, a beige and a grayish black. Upon originally getting them, they were extremely frightened, did not want to be handled, looked like they hadn't had dust baths in ages and the gray one is still extremely matted.

It's been a couple weeks now, they live in their own cool bedroom with a nice tall cage. I keep them in their own bedroom as my dog is obsessed with chinchillas and would gladly terrorize them all day.

Anyway, on to the point, the beige chinchilla is extremely skittish, but very friendly and I think we're starting to bond a bit. The gray/black chinchilla, who is much heavier and I'm assuming is pregnant, is extremely mean. I've owned chinchillas before and have never had to deal with a mean one like her. She hates when I open the cage,when I stick my hand in the cage, if I try to touch her, if I try and fix one of the levels, even if I'm just watching from the outside and not even moving towards the cage,she kacks at me and chatters her teeth. I'm not sure if it's because she might be pregnant or she just doesnt enjoy my presence, but she is extremely moody. She'll even direct her anger to the beige chinchilla and start kacking and barking at her. She's accepted sunflower seeds from my hand before, but still gotten mad right after. I'm not sure how to deal with this behavior. I often will leave the cage door open and let her come out to run around the room since there's no furniture, but when I try to get her back in the cage she obviously doesnt want it and I don't want to make her more stressed out. I would hate to not be able to let her come out it I can't even touch her to get her back in. And I'll never be able to get those mats out if she doesn't allow me to touch her. Does anyone have any advice? And I apologize for the lengthy story!

Back