Half of her mass broke off!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrightbrotherchins

I posted about my hedgie's lump last month. I took her to the vet and he said she wasn't in pain. Surgery would only reduce the size of the lump. A complete removal wouldn't leave enough skin to cover the hole. Ultimately it came down to me being too broke.

Last night I was giving her a bath and half of it broke off. I'm relieved its off of her but I'm worried about her well being. I am taking her back to the vet next Tuesday to have him check it out and get her some pain meds.

I'm not sure what to do for her. When's enough, enough?:cry3:

Well it comes down to the basics I guess. First she does need to be treated for any bleeding and to prevent infection...and soon. I'm assuming tomorrow is when your appointment is, if it isn't please move it up immediately. Next is how much pain she is in? This is best monitored/determined by the other daily functions of life, is she eating fairly normally? Pooping okay? Does she enjoy time with you, cuddling or whatever? Treat immediate signs first of the mass falling off and then you can determine how her overall well-being. Many hedgies have no idea they are sick, and can have many more happy months. However they sometimes will let you know when they have had enough and if you believe they are suffering then it may be time to make a difficult choice.

she seems to be perfectly fine. Nice solid poops, good appetite, normal mobility, etc. Her vet appointment is tomorrow.

she and I have not bonded since I got her. I think it has a lot to do with her condition. I check on her daily but shes not the cuddle type.

I'd hoped she could have been seen sooner, but am glad to hear that she's hanging in there. I hope today's appointment goes well. Keep us posted. I'm sending positive vibes to her!! Be strong little hedgie.

She was a good girl at the vet today. He just kept telling me how easy she was to handle. He did the normal exam, but today she resisted him touching the lump. The last appointment she had no problem with him putting some pressure on it or the leg.

It had grown a bit since the mass fell off and he noticed considerable change. He also told me that the odor coming from it was due to it being sorta "rotten". We did not run any test today, however she was able to visually check the "old lump" that I kept in a zip-lock. That thing smells horrid, by the way. No tests means we don't know for sure, but he srongly believes it is a carcinoma tumor.

Before we left Dr. Harvey gave me the rundown on our options. First was a extremely costly amputation, that I could never afford in my wildest dreams. the second treatment plan was a pain killer and antibiotic duo. The meds will cost about $100 and he didn't even tell me how long that supply lasts. Then there's the au natural way, which is to wait it out.

I have never had to make a decision like this before. Her well being is my number one concern and I want to make the right decision.

I don't think I'd attempt to wait out an infection that smells rotten. Just seems like that would be the beginning of a horrific decline and death.

If you're saying the surgery is absolutely a no-go for you financially, you might try one of the animal insurance plans or contacting an organization like Hedgehog Welfare Society before ruling out that possibility. Perhaps there is someone who has funds who could adopt Lila??

Then if that's a no-go... sounds like you have 3 options left:
1. meds for pain and infection control
2. wait it out
3. PTS

I'd encourage you to strongly consider 1 vs 3. I don't really see 2 as a viable option based on your description. It sounds needlessly painful.

I'm so sorry :(

If you're not going to have her euthanized, is there not any way you can get her started on at least an antibiotic sooner? Infections that are as bad as what you're describing can quickly go septicemic, which basically means the infection travels to the blood and therefore through the entire body. Her flesh is decomposing and that creates a ton of concern. Septicemia is a very painful and dangerous condition which could lead to even more costly treatments and certain death if not treated. The only "au natural" cure for this is death. Tumors that reach this point are more likely than not malignant.

My experience with hedgehogs is limited but I work in a small animal/exotics practice. We mainly see rats with tumors but any small animal that I have seen with an ulcerated and decomposing tumor as what you're describing really do not have a long grace period between recovering with treatment and death. I really don't think she has a week to wait, honestly...the infection is severe and can quickly go septic, and she's got to be in terrible pain with no pain medications to help her out (imagine if this were happing to you!). Animals in pain have even worse healing ability among other physical and psychological hinderances.

If finances are a concern, check out Care Credit. It is an awesome credit card specifically for medical care. Many vets accept it as payment. You can apply online from their website and you will automatically know if you are approved after filling out the application. It has several plans, I have a 6 month no interest account set up just in case for vet emergencies.

If this still isn't an option, then I agree with smhufflepuff on seeing if a rescue can take her in and give her the medical care she desperately needs. Allowing her to sit and wait another 7 days when it has already been 10 with a rotting infected tumor with the risk of going septic is just not fair and not humane in my opinion.

Why on earth are you waiting until next Wednesday to start her on antibiotics? That is a very long time for an animal to be in pain and unnecessarily so. Most exotic vets cost an average of $50-100 every time you see them, so I am sure you were prepared for that before getting animals in the first place. I know it is hard, but there is literally NO downside to treating with antibiotics just in case. If you cannot afford it, find a way. She is counting on you, and you are all she has. The first delay was bad enough, don't make the same mistake twice. Call your vet, and arrange to pick up those meds please. At least then you will know that you are doing what you can. Otherwise please contact HWS immediately, this cannot wait.

Hold the phone! It is a blessing that she is with me and is even getting treatment in the first place. Im sorry I dont have all the money in the world right when I need it, but I do the best I can. Im sure you can understand that.

BTW Charlie, you came off condescending and accusing.

But she's not getting treatment. You had a vet tell you she has a rotting infected mass, but are not treating it with anything. I don't think you understand the urgency of getting her started on antibiotics and pain relief. She could go septic at any time, if she isn't already, and as mentioned before has got to be in intense pain. If you can't afford to give her the medication she desperately needed 10 days ago, find someone who can. It is not humane to make her wait and suffer. I understand being tight on money, but I would NEVER let one of my animals suffer because I couldn't afford vet care for them especially if they were in her state. I'd be applying for credit cards, scraping up change, and eating ramen. And if that wasn't enough, I'd find someone who COULD give her the care she needs and turn her over. I'm sorry, but I'd hardly call this a "best effort".

I apologize if I come off condecending, that is not my intent. However I am confused, which is where I may be appearing accusatory...You have posted in the emergency section, which I think is appropriate. I am just confused why you have not been treating it like an emergency. A reference to "au natural" gives that impression. I understand you have no control over a shortage of funds, but your posts are reading more like this is a decision you are satisfied with, rather than one that has been forced on you. Hopefully you will understand that we all care about animals and are just trying to provide some solutions for you, so that you do not feel trapped by your situation. Everyone gets into a tough spot, please don't be offended by our comments but please do consider our advice. Thanks,

She was a good girl at the vet today. He just kept telling me how easy she was to handle. He did the normal exam, but today she resisted him touching the lump. The last appointment she had no problem with him putting some pressure on it or the leg.

It had grown a bit since the mass fell off and he noticed considerable change. He also told me that the odor coming from it was due to it being sorta "rotten". We did not run any test today, however she was able to visually check the "old lump" that I kept in a zip-lock. That thing smells horrid, by the way. No tests means we don't know for sure, but he srongly believes it is a carcinoma tumor.

Before we left Dr. Harvey gave me the rundown on our options. First was a extremely costly amputation, that I could never afford in my wildest dreams. the second treatment plan was a pain killer and antibiotic duo. The meds will cost about $100 and he didn't even tell me how long that supply lasts. Then there's the au natural way, which is to wait it out.

I have never had to make a decision like this before. Her well being is my number one concern and I want to make the right decision.

I agree - is there any way to gather funds? I would amputate. I had an emergency situation w my chin last month and I was preparing to open a credit card to pay for her $700 surgery. At least do the meds. You seem to care very much for your hedgie, and it will pass on if it doesn't gets meds at least.

Back